icon

Finishing resin brand and how to

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Crazycrocket 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering if someone here could give me some info on which finishing resin they reccomend for a high gloss look, almost like there is a layer of glass on top of the color. Next could sometime give me an idea as to how to achieve this high gloss look. IE. do you let your fiberglass piece cure, paint, add finishing resin. Or let piece cure, add colored finishing resin, then clear finishing resin?

I'm using a polyester resin with my fiberglassing. I'm really looking forward to playing around with this stuff.

Thanks alot.

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
that's when they piant it for you, then they clear cote it so it's look gloss.
Bodyfill what you have fiber and then sand it with like 240 grits it will be good, i've sand mine with 240 grit and then i fineshed mine with 600 grit(metal sendpaper) and it looked a bit gloss without painted, now i have to painted it and clear cote it to look more gloss. i'm planning to cote it twice so it be even more gloss.
ps. excuse me my english.
Shaking The Neighborhood
snowboarderandy 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

Most people paint it with automotive paints then spray it with automotive clear coat.

Thanks,
Andy
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

you guys forgot to mention priming...it is a key ingredient to getting it as glossy as possible...

and first it is not a clear resin..it is paint (Clear Coat) is what it is called, that or it is a single stage enamel..you want..not resin

the finsih is only as good as the prep...get a high build primer to do most of the work for you...like it was mentioned 240 is a good enough grit to use prior to primer...your piece should be relatively smooth and dimple (low/ high spot) free..Dont worry about pin holes the primer will fill those..

i sand my primer with 400 grit wet/dry emery...i use emery cause it lasts considerably longer then paper...once i am satisfied with the overall appearance of the piece i prime one more time and then wet sand itwith 400 or 600...then you are ready for paint...

Areosols dont work all that well for larger projects you will need an air compressor and a paint gun to do it properly....be sure not to apply the paint to thickly as it will not dry properly and whn you clear it it will crackle/ orange peel on you...also dont apply the clear to thickly either...or you will get the same results..

if you decide to use areosols then you wont be able to sand the the clear coat...

if you use a paint gun then you can block sand the clear coat with 1000-2000 grit paper (WET) and then get out you buffer and some compound and go to town...

i am not a good painter but i would say 2 coats base and 3 coats clear will be plenty to get her glossy

Fiberglass Guru.
Crazycrocket 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

Alright thanks for the info guys. I have heard of this being done with a finishing resin, but the clear coat sounds alot simpler. I'm probably going to have more questions in the coming months since I'm about to do a bunch of exterior and interior parts to do in fiberglass.

But yeah thanks again.

crazyoldcougar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Perhaps you are thinking of a GEL Coat?

i am sure you can colour them..but as for finish, they leave a lot to be desired...i am sure you have seen a hundred Honda driving around your town with Blue bumpers? that is a gel coat...and is the factory finish prioir to painting..

Fiberglass Guru.
Crazycrocket 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
No I mean finishing resin, like they use to make boats shiny and to protect them. However no worries the clear sounds easier and cheaper
crazyoldcougar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
boats are gel coated
Fiberglass Guru.
Crazycrocket 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

They also can have a colored finishing resin and a layer of clear finishing resin on top. I talked to the person at the fiberglass supply place she gave me some pamplets on different finishing resins. Told me which stuff has the real high gloss but its kinda pricy compared to clear coat and paint.

crazyoldcougar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
well the day i stop learning something new i hope to be dead...............
Fiberglass Guru.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic