icon

fuel pump kill using wiper switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ocman 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Since I no longer have a rear wiper, I'd like to use the switch as a manual fuel pump kill switch. I happened to believe that things in plain sight tend to hide better than "hidden" switches which are many times quite simple to find.
The switch is very similar to this one:
fuel pump kill using wiper switch -- posted image.
So I pulled the conrol panel, and the wiper switch has 6 wires grouped as follows:
A) 2 ground
B) 2 +12v (constant)
C) 1 +12v (when in On position)
D) 1 would not measure
Could I simply run the (+) lead going to the fuel pump into both B inputs on the switch, connect both grounds, then run the swiched output C to the fuel pump?
Also, the wires on the wiper harness seem about the same gauge as the fuel pump wires, but I don't know if the switch itself is capable. Do I need a relay? Thanks.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I would not interrupt the fuel pump supply wires. This is just my opinion, but what happens if the switch fails as you are driving?
That being said, you should use a relay to handle the load since you do not know how much power the pump requires. You would use the C connection to turn the relay on, similar to:
Pin 85 Ground
Pin 86 C wire from switch
Pin 87 One side of cut Fuel pump wire
Pin 30 Other side of cut Fuel pump wire.
This will energize the relay when the switch is on, connecting the fuel pump wire and disconnect it when the switch is off.
Good Luck
ocman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Do these kinds of switches have a high failure rate? I didn't think there was very much to them. I'm confident enough in my soldering ability and plan to fuse the power lead for added protection, so I'm hoping the chances are pretty slim a problem would occur. If the switch does fail, I could just pull the panel and reconnect the fuel pump normally.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
what is the purpose of this mod? I'm not quite seeing what having a fuel pump kill switch does
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  
Its to stop someone from taking his car. over here fuel pump kill is the norm. companies like cobra give you the fuel pump wire on thier diagrams.
the failure rate of a relay is pretty low. especially a good one.
if it fails while driving its the same a running out of fuel when driving.
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Powermyster wrote:
if it fails while driving its the same a running out of fuel when driving.
Yes, that is what I was saying. If you do a starter kill, it keeps someone from taking the vehicle as well but the vehicle just will not start, not die while driving. Just my opinion.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
The starter kill tends to be too obvious though, so it's not as secure as something like a fuel or ignition cutoff. If it doesn't crank, it's pretty obvious, but if it doesn't start, it's much harder to track down and bypass.
Depends on the level of security needed, and how the driver is going to react in a situation if the car suddenly dies on the road. If it's for a customer who's strictly gas-it-n-go type of motorist, starter kill is definitely better.
If you decide on a fuel cut, use the wiper switch only to control a relay, not to power the pump itself; and set it up so the relay latches on, so the wiper switch isn't needed after you start the car. That way you won't lose power to the pump until you shut the car off, even if you accidentally knock the wiper switch off while driving.
Use a good quality relay and proper connection procedures, and it should be okay.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
starter kill dons't stop people push starting a manual trans.. which 99% of cars are on my side of the pond.
that is why i prefere fuel kill
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Do a starter kill AND a fuel cut, and you can find the crook passed out down the road from exhaustion- fuel pump kill using wiper switch -- posted image.
ocman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Yes for the stated reasons I think a starter kill is quite simple to identify and defeat, almost not worth the effort.
I'm thinking about using this switch in conjunction with a shorted cigarette adaptor, so the adaptor must also be inserted in addition to the switch being set in order for the fuel pump to operate. I would probably only yank out the adaptor in higher risk situations, and just use the switch for day to day use.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic