icon

difference between dvc and svc?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dirt_racer_99 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
so i bought 2 subs and an amp off of ebay and well they sent me the right amp but the wrong subs... instead of a svc they sent me a dvc.... so my question would be is what difference in the sub is there? also the box i have only has one negative and one positive per side of the box so do u guys still think i can run these subs in that box or not??? and i dont know think i can put a 2 ohm load on the amp with the dvc subs so any ideas would help ALOT
bmwpwner 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

if you got dvc rather than svc you can wire them several ways. if you have a 2 channel amplifier that is 2 ohm stable then you can run a jumper from the negative of one coil to the positive of the other coil (do this for each woofer) and then use the left over pos and neg to the amp. if you do this on each woofer that should put each woofer into an 8 ohm load (given that each voice coil is 4 ohm coils). then you can mono both woofers into the amp and get a 4 ohm load at the amp and with the amp in the bridged mode that will actually put the woofers at a 2 ohm (inside the amp) where the amp and woofers are wired for the optimum performance. of course, you should double check your impedance before hooking it to the amp. good luck and hope this helps.

"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-Socrates-
dirt_racer_99 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

well the amp is a mono and and at 4ohm its 500watts and at  2ohm its 850 watts so i bought the 4 ohm svc that would give me the 2 ohm load but now with the dvc i can only get a 4ohm load i belive

bmwpwner 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

ok, if the amp is mono then just use one voice coil from each woofer and that will give you a 2 ohm load at the amp. good luck and hope that helps.

"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-Socrates-
dirt_racer_99 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

but by not using one voice coil wont that mess the sub up??? i mean i dont wanna break anything or blow it up

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
First of all what are the voice coil configurations of the subs? Are they dual 4 or dual 2 ohm subs?
dirt_racer_99 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
they are dual 4 ohm 1000w pioneer subs and the amp is a kenwood 1700w mono amp that  is 500w 4 ohms and 850 2 ohm
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

So dual four... here is the option I'd use. Present a 4 ohm load to the amp and call it a day. Although you could wire it down to a 1 ohm load, you instantly run the risk of damaging the amp, and what for? 350 measly watts, not worth it.

difference between dvc and svc? -- posted image.

dirt_racer_99 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

yeah i iknow if it comes down to it ill either try to get them to exchange the subs for free sence it was there mistake or ill just go with that setup but is there any way to create a 2 ohm load on the amp with the subs i have

dwarren 
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Nope.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic