the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

difference between dvc and svc?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

dirt_racer_99 wrote:
or im going to try to just hook up one coil and wire them to creat a 2 ohm load and see which sounds the best to me

If you do that, the power capacity for each sub will be one half of the rated power.  If each sub is rated at, say, 300 watts, then the power total for two subs, using only one voice coil on each one, will be 300 watts.  Does the amplifier put out 300 watts at 2 ohms?  That's the question you have to answer, which is why I asserted above that you probably had power vs. power handling already figured into the equation when you originally chose the SVC subs.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

Oops, I missed the part about it being a mono amp.  Thanks for the correction Dave.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dirt_racer_99 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
the amp is rated at 1700w max..... 950w at 2ohms and 500 w at 4ohms... which is why i wanted the subs to make a 2 ohm load on the amp... the subs are 1000w max and 500w rms... so sence i have 2 ur saying my rms would only be 250 per sub??? but the svc subs r rated the exact same as the dvc... which confuses the hell outta me
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yes that is what he is saying. The subs power handling is the same for either the svc or dvc sub. In the case of the svc there is only one winding, the dvc has two, thus the power is spread evenly between the two coils. So you do indeed have a power handling of only 250w per sub by using one coil only.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not saying it doesn't hold potential for change, but power and sound are two different things. A 2 ohm load won't "sound" any better than a 4 ohm load. Volume may be different (i.e. my cousin's 1000 watt 15" is volumetrically louder than my 10" sub) even though i'm wired at 2, and he at 4.

Also, you're dealing with electrical pieces here. The more power you force from it, the less the life. Not to say a 2 ohm load will die next week, where a 4 will live a month, but as a person that repairs electrical equipment, I can't help but mention it.

Stick with Haemphyst, Stevdart and Forbidden. 9 times out of 2, they'll put you on the right track

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic