icon

Mobile Dynamics Polycrete

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
calazon 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, I went to Mobile Dynamics in May 2004, and after finding out that they ARE NOT A NATIONAL ACCREDITED course, thus screwing me over on my tax return, I've decided to share thier "Polycrete" formula for all.
1 part bondo
1 part resin
You will have to mess around with the amount of hardner you mix in because it does change once the bondo is added.
To apply, use the mixture instead of using only resin. Only apply it to a fresh piece of glass/fabric. Once hardened it will be very light and very strong.
Liquid Bone: They didn't tell us how to make this of course, but the one guy told me that it was Polycrete, with another chemical that adds oxygen to the balance, thus making it alot lighter. So if somebody wants to try to figure it out that would be good. It shouldn't be too hard if you've taken a chemistry course, or just simply do some trial and error. They did say it was a common chemical.
Hope this helps some people out!
Aaron
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

well..first off, i attended mobile dynamics in july of 2004, once tax time came i was able to write it off and think nothing of it. i've been there done that, and had a deicent tax return last year because of the amount i paid to go there,

as for you shared secret...i already use that, and i magine there's loads of other installers out there on this site that use it as well,  but personally, i wouldn't use bondo, there is better to use then bondo.

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

calazon wrote:
with another chemical that adds oxygen to the balance, thus making it alot lighter.

Methylene. AKA, phenylisocyanate. Or any of a dozen other trade names. Its the active ingredient in expandable foams.

BTW, did they tell you they were nationally accredited? That would be bad. Otherwise you really should have asked.

calazon 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
Yea they told everyone they were nationally accredited, even on thier website. They pretty much boasted it.
Aaron
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

LOL, yeah dont worry, im sure they dont own the patent of the mixing of other patented materials.  This mix has been used in the early 1990s when I was working for a pool and amusement construction company, we were constructing concrete halfpipe/waterslides, which the concrete surface was coated with a relative mix you mentioned to provide a smooth hard finish.  Theres several other fiberglassing sites that give exact measurements of this concoction of these materials.  Some give different amounts per part depending on the intended use or location in which the mix is to be applied.  Also, theres an additive that you can add to polyester or epoxy resins as well, such as the thixatripic media referenced from www.CarAudioHelp.com.  If you order the Fiberglass 1 or 2 dvds, they give thier mix portions as well.  Also, some fabricators have used baby powder or talk.

So, they call theirs "Polycrete" eh?  Im going to call mine...."Fiber-Mud" or "Multi-Flow-Filler"......just kiddin'

sethsyd 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I am going there now.  They don't say they are "nationally accredited".  They offer MECP national certification.
calazon 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
sethsyd 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
My mistake, I go to the AZ campus, so I didn't look at the CAN site. But if other people have claimed it on their tax returns, why can't you? I serioulsy doubt that if they were not accredited, that they would post something like that on the site. Did you attend the school just to get the write off? That seems like a pretty dumb idea to me.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
hahahaha
1 part bondo + 1 part resin = 1 part miracle mix
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
svra42.8 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Yea im going to same the same as Seth, i just finished class there and they never said that.  I think the closest thing they said is that they were one of the most credited schools for the mecp since they helped with the development
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic