icon

Crossover vs EQ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guys, i just wanted an opinion on whats better.. some say crossovers some say equializers. what do you guys recommend, and what brand or model?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
They do different things, so it depends on what you're trying to achieve.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
I know they are not the exact thing but i thought they were somewhat similar. I wanted DEEP bass and clear highs, I have 6x9 and 6 1/2 component infinity spakers in the car
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Crossovers and EQs do two entirely different things.  Deep bass = you need a subwoofer.  Clear highs = you need to make sure your amp or head unit is not clipping and is delivering your main speakers the cleanest signal at the listening levels you like, and that the main speakers you choose sound "clear" to you and are mounted in a proper position.  Crossovers and EQs will do none of these things.
Support the12volt.com
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
ok well this is what i have, i have infinity speakers all around, with a 4 channel PPI amp. I have two solo baric 12L7's running with a PPI 2200. it sounds GOOD but i just thought that an Eq or crossover would sperate the high mids and lows and get a crisper sound and lower bass
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

You are already using crossovers if you have your system set up correctly.  You should have a low-pass filter on your sub amp and high-pass filters on your main amps all set to the same frequency (I suggest about 100Hz.)  An EQ can help correct problems in some cases, but unless you really know what you are doing with one it can make things worse.  If your gains are set properly so the amps are not clipping and the crossovers are set properly, you're pretty much done.  I suggest your best next upgrade would probably be sound deadening.

Support the12volt.com
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
I guess your right, there is no real problem with the setup, i like the way my highs sound and my bass hits pretty low, i had just heard from someone that adding a crossover or EQ would get u deeper bass do to the frequency change. I'll just do what they say, IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT. thanks for the info

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic