icon

Sub and Amp advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
svaillan 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Need some expert advice please. I am looking at adding 2 - 10" subs in an enclosure to a 2006 H3. I am looking for suggestions on which brand and model to go with to include an amp. I want something of quality but dont wanna spend an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks Steve
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
go to your local car audio shop and listen for yourself what brand sound the best for you.
Shaking The Neighborhood
svaillan 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
I dont trust the local shops in my area.  Also they arent going to carry all brands that are available. They carry mostly low end, no mid end with a little high end because the market is for highschool kids. Plus I would rather get the opionion of experts from across the us then form locals who are just trying to push a sale. Thanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Well, count us Canadians out, we must not know a thing....Sub and Amp advice - Last Post -- posted image. You need to tell the people you are asking for help way more info, like a budget etc.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

If it's an H3 then your idea of "an arm and a leg" is probably a bit higher than most.  What's the budget?  What research have you done?  Why two 10's?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
svaillan 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Well lets see. I was thinking 10's because I want enough bass to be pleasurable yet not enough to shake cars around me. But I am open to suggestions.

As for budget. I dont really have one. If I find something that seems to fit my needs I'll buy it and if its too much I'll save up till I can buy it. I have found out over the years that its true that you get what you pay for. Buy something cheap in quality and it lasts a year or two and or degrades in performance over time. Or but something that cost a little more and have it last for years and have consistant performance. So I just wanted to post a simple message and get personal suggestions from those who are in the industry of what they have delt with and know. Didnt expect to get people questioning why this or that or why not go to your local shop.

"Yea I could go to a dealership and look a five cars with a salesman, but the person that's going to tell me about the quality and performance is the mechanic who works on the cars and knows what comes in broke or not."

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Does this mean that the professionals from Canada can answer now. Sub and Amp advice - Last Post -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

As far as a 10" sub is concerned, I currently have an Infinity Kappa 10" DVC in my truck. It's great for bass. It can deliever the truck vibrating bass if I wish, but in general, its a great sub. You know the drummer is kicking, the bass is playing, and if you get curious, you can test whether the sound tech had the low-freq. cut off on during recording. I don't know if that sub is available any longer though, but you asked, so there is my 2 cents.

Amp wise, I have a Coustic 600SE on it. I don't think Coustic is still in business, and I'm running the amp to see its worth. For me, it works fine, yet again, I seem to have an odd form of luck compared to everyone else, because Planet Audio has also always worked wonders with me.

Kinda hard to recommend an amp. I know amps htat work great in the low wattage area, and I know some that work great in the high wattage area, so it will depend on your subs. I keep trying to tell folks, find your subs first, power is second, and decided only once you know power needs (comes from being a lighting designer for concerts)

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic