icon

current handling of diode?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dmangru01 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
I want to hook up my headlights to my alarm but each side has thier own wire, so i'll have to energize both. I want to do this using one relay. So to do this I am thinking I can just use diodes to isolate each headlight wire when I'm hooking them up to the relay. However I'm not sure as to how much current will flow therefore what rating diode I should use.
The bulbs are 9007 so they are 55 watts each. Now what I was thinking is that each bulb would use about 4.6 amps (using P=VI). Assuming this formula applies, could I use 2 3-amp diodes in parrallel so that it would handle 6 amps and be enough to handle each bulb?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
I would have to suggest buying a higher amperage diode. I have not diode isolated a headlights  but I use 10 amp diodes just for parking light isolation.
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

You should also consider power dissipation of the diode. Often you can be well under the current limit but exceed the diodes power dissipation rating.

To calculate the power dissipation (the heat the diode will generate) take the diodes Vf and multiply by current. Then check the diodes specs to make sure it does not exceed its rating.

In high power applications use a schottky diode. The voltage dropped will be 1/2~1/4 of what a regular diode will drop and far less heat generation.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic