icon

Dead Soundstream amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

I have a pair of older SS ref 5.0 (class A) amps, one of them runs my front mains.  Recently it started making a strange intermittant static noise at half-volume or greater.  Below that, amp sounds fine.  Beyond half volume the static starts & increases with volume.  It does the same thing with a silent track, so it seems to be voltage-induced.  I switched out the amp for another, problem solved, then switched back to verify it wasn't the hook-up, problem returned.  So it's definitely local to the amp.

Incidentally, the amp runs at 4 ohm stereo & has performed for a good 5+ years.

I've never had a problem like this before, any ideas what may cause that?  The static is never louder than the music unless it's a silent track, go figure.

Also, where/who is reputable & can repair this old amp with quality parts?  SS says they will but they're expensive & need a solid 4-5 weeks to get to it.  I found an online repair service - www.justrepairs.com - they claim to be able to handle it but I'm leery of sending it to someone I don't know.  Anyone have experience here?

TIA.

jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

By half volume, I'll assume you mean half up on the gain of the amp. I had a Boss Riot sreies amp do the same thing to me. When switched out, it stopped, so it was a local thing. If you feel its voltage induced, sit on it with a multimeter and see what happens. I'm confused too, so i'm gonna wait with ya for an intelligent answer.

Granted, i'm not an old timer in this madness, but I seem to recall a soundstream amp on the wall of a pawn shop covered in an inch of dust (i.e., from what I know, you may want to look at a new amp no who)

The other guys (and gals) will prolly have more insight here, but i'd weigh the time, frustration, and money of repair against just going new.

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

These things have an amazingly warm sound, I'd hate to give them up.  Actually replaced it for the time being with a ancient SS A-100, had been buried in the basement forever.

When I say voltage-induced I'm referring to the HU output, the noise isn't dependant on current (?) from an audio signal coming thru.  I may be way off on that, what I do know is it still happens with a silent track.  By volume I mean source volume, not the gains - haven't touched those in years. 

jazzcustom131 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

hmm, well, with it being a possiblity of voltage induced via head unit, i'm really on the rock. I have no use as far as a cure is concerned, but i'm very curious for the answer.

warm sound ehh... I may go rip that thing off the wall and take it for a spin. I'm always open to others opinions on sounds.

Random thought. Maybe has something to do with the RCA connections? But I tell myself no at the same time, because I believe the voltage remains the same despite volume from head unit. ACtually, I think it has to. Maybe has something to do with exterior noise induction (engine whine, alternator whir)

I dunno, i'd better stop thinking in the forum before I get banned Dead Soundstream amp? -- posted image.

Greed is for amateurs.
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:

These things have an amazingly warm sound, I'd hate to give them up.  Actually replaced it for the time being with a ancient SS A-100, had been buried in the basement forever.

I still have a Class A 40. 20 amps regardless of volume. Horribly inefficient, but sounds great (warm like tubes).

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

^^^ Exactly.  Worth hanging on to. 

JazzCustom - SS has made some el cheapo's in the last 10 years, so don't assume that pawn shop dust bunnie has anything on the ball.  If it says class A I'd jump on it tho.

jazzcustom131 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

will do. Such a sad thing. A lot of the old companies have slid down hill. What's the deal.

onto more important things...

Somebody PLEASE answer this question!!Dead Soundstream amp? -- posted image.

Greed is for amateurs.
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

I think the first thing to do is crack open the case and look for physical issues. Like Jazz said look @ the RCAs. If I remember right they are bolt on with wire to the board. Check the wires. Look for stressed solder joints and such.

Heck, open it up and post a pic. I'd love a trip down memory lane.

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  

I cracked it open & two "checked by #" stickers fell out.  Didn't help.  Didn't see anything obviously wrong.

Just remembered the only thing that's changed with this amp, a couple weeks back I switched one RCA input to balanced (SS mentions something about it helping with alt noise, I have a tiny bit - didn't help)  a couple weeks later problem started.  I did some sleuthing & switched it back to unbal (it's the same RCA, just has a 2-position switch over it) and the problem went away for a few days.  Now has gradually returned & is constant now regardless of bal/unbal position.  So maybe the switch went out?

Otherwise the RCA's are bolted to the case, very solid, so I doubt anything shook loose there.

chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 4:58 AM / IP Logged  
jazzcustom131 wrote:

Granted, i'm not an old timer in this madness, but I seem to recall a soundstream amp on the wall of a pawn shop covered in an inch of dust (i.e., from what I know, you may want to look at a new amp no who)

You need to go buy that amp! The old school amp in which he is talking about is amazing. Most people don't realize these were one of the first few 1 ohm stable amps. LOUD LOUD LOUD!!! Not to mention crystal clear!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic