the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Alpine or Pioneer and Why?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all,
Question is as follows. 250 dollars or there abouts to spend on a new HU. i would be coming from a Pioneer DEH-3300 single DIN which is 50x4 pk and about 5 years old.
I have 2 ipods @ current and a bluetooth enabled cell phone. Now to the question, What have you got for me in terms of Sound Quality and Bells and Whistles.
I would love to be able to hook up my ipod using just a 3.5mm jack and use it through an AUX input, i noticed the bluetooth marketing by Alpine however i dont want to spend the 220 USDollars on another adapter.
so what do you guys think? also the front Speakers are going to be a component set built by my consisting of 6.5" woofer and Tweeter x-overed @ 2400Hz 12dB so the internal amp needs to put out atleast some power.
Thanks In advance,
Links are very much appreciated.
Cheers.
~James.
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
What ever you like more, bolth companies are good. What ever has the features you like take it. Only opinion that matters is yours.
dfizzle 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah that's pretty much it.  You'll get arguments from both camps that one is better than the other, but the best you can do is figure out what you prefer.  Honestly, in that price range you're not going to see any major differences in performance or features.

As far as the iPod connection goes, I have a Pioneer deh-p5800mp that I hook my 3rd Gen. iPod to using the IP-Bus to RCA to 3.5, and it works just fine for me.  The new Alpine decks can all use the same method, or the dedicated Alpine cable that connects right from the HU to the dock on your iPod and the sound quality might be a bit better, but using the cable locks the iPod controls.  So like I said, it's really up to you and what you're looking for in terms of appearance and such.  Here's a comparisson link from crutchfield I set up real quick:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LDNZY2TX...

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
I side with Eclipse and the CD3000 + the Eclipse Ipod interface and Aux input interface. An alternative and a real cool alternative that most people have not explored are the new Blaupunkt head units with built in bluetooth. The new units are not out to market yet and are not on their website. Let me tell you though, they are built real good, priced good, will perform great and have some cool darn features to go with what I think is a real good look.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
hmm so one reference to Fujitsu10 and i had that exact same IPBUS thing for my old Pioneer.
Well i have owned a pioneer forever since i was 16, but Alpine is the brand recommended by my local shop guys.
i was trying to broaden my horizons. im pretty comfortable and familiar with Pioneers tuning options. but Alpine's seem to have more to offer in that area. and with my addition of a component set for once i thought that may be valuable to have.
THanks guys keep em coming,
Forbidden: i'll check out that Eclipse and Blaupunkt if i can find them
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

If your choice is between Pioneer and Alpine, go with Alpine.  Think about this for a second.....you can go just about anywhere (including Wal-mart) to get a Pioneer deck, which means that they are mass produced (not that Alpine isn't) and they really don't care who they sell to.  Alpine on the other hand, you can only get at certain places, they are "brand protected".  This means that they care about who they sell to, and would rather sell quality, not quanity.  I've use Alpine forever, with no complaints and have had friends who swore by Pioneer, and there always seemed to be something wrong with their deck.  I've also been installing for over 8 years and have seen more comebacks due to product failure with Pioneer than with Alpine and this is a fact (unless you are buying the $99 special, then they are probably pretty compareable).  Sound quality is also much better with Alpine than Pioneer, by far.  So to sum up buy Alpine, you will be much happier in the long run.  It may be a bit more expensive, but remember when buying electronics, you get what you pay for!!!

As for Eclipse, they kinda fell off the face of the Earth there for a while, but are making a strong comeback.  There stuff is great too, and like Alpine "brand protected"

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
I would say that to say a alpine deck has much better sound quality than a pioneer deck at the same price level is mabye a little bit rash and I would also say that its probally more in the ear of the beholder as opposed to written in stone. I have personally owned both and HATE alpine decks from a sound point of view. I find them to sound very harsh and far prefer the sound of the pioneer decks. As for reliability goes, I sell pioneer and have many friends who sell alpine, and while I wont say pioneers are bullet proof, I find them to be far better than say a JVC deck or a panasonic deck, and from what I have been told by my friends who deal alpine it sounds as though they have a similar track record with that product.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
See told ya all opinion. I personally perfer panasonic. But i may try an eclipse soon.
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
thats such BS.... walmart sells xbox 360, does that make it crap because its not exclusive? walmart sells the lower end pioneer stuff...
i've had 2 pioneer decks and both have worked perfectly for me. No complaints at all with either.. although if you're looking to power something, you'll need an external amp. don't expect more than 25 watts out RMS out of just about any deck.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Personally,  Prefer Alpine.  I've had 3 Pioneers self combust on me, all within a year of buying them new.  The pre amp went out in the first one, The second one had an internal short, causing it to randomly turn itself off, and I don't know what happened to the third one, but after about 6 months of using it, and making no changes to anything, it stopped working.  I took it out, and it was too hot to touch.  Never worked after that.  I've got an alpine now, and I love it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic