icon

Led Fogs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rutcgr18 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  

So i want to make some led fogs did not know if any one had any input.  I am curently making blue led strobee.  I am a vol fireman so i have made them for my jeep. I just want to know some ideas if i should use a lens or how many leds i should use.  Thanks mike

Led Fogs -- posted image.

nicky9 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Looks good, what type of LEDs/resistors/board did you use? 

Actually, that was brighter than I thought they would be!  Awesome!

firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

For the fogs I would (and have) use a single Luxeon III led. There small, powerfull and theres a full range of lenses available.

You will need to use a constant current regulator to drive them instead of just a resitor. Its cheap and simple to make. Heres a single red and single blue running a little over 1/2 capacity. The amber one is just as bright.

Led Fogs -- posted image.. Led Fogs -- posted image.

ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
My quick review
You will notice that your pattern is pretty much cone shaped. You really have no need to light up the sky or the ground, but you do have a need for lighting more to the sides. Some sort of optics are going to be needed. I would probably have the top and bottom straightened out for a brighter on-axis display. Then you would want to broaden out the sides for better off-axis lighting.
Another option would be not to use a flat circuit board, and use something with some complex curves to distribute the light better, like the shape of the reflector in a fog lamp- but a little flatter
Make sure they are good and visible- 500' is the standard that most states use, but that is pretty weak IMO.
My concern would be of liability. Even if they are visible; they are not SAE approved, and therefore illegal. Get into an accident and it is your fault, and remember this: 7% of firefighters killed in '04 were responding in their POVs to the scene or station.
IMHO, you aren't going to save much in the long run, if any. And the couple of dollars you may save are not worth the risk. Get a set of halogen pedestal mounts if you want physically large lamps, or some TIR3-sized lights if you want the low current of LEDs.
The Lightning LED LX4 costs under $70 in any color combination, and the 4 Gen-3 LEDs already have the optix and testing behind them
nicky9 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

Firstrax -   can you elaborate on " constant current regulator "?  Have a link on how to set something like this up?  I could to a board of leds but not at all familiar with the ones above.

The example you gave above... was that 1 LED?  OMG! 

Thanks in advance

Nick

firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
nicky9 wrote:

Firstrax -   can you elaborate on " constant current regulator "?  Have a link on how to set something like this up?  I could to a board of leds but not at all familiar with the ones above.

The example you gave above... was that 1 LED?  OMG! 

Thanks in advance

Nick

I'l have something in a day or so. I'm away from my regular computer right now.

nicky9 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds Good cant wait!

Thanks

nhoj_yelbom 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
about those luxeons, you dont have to have a constant current regulator do you?
nicky9 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
From what I have read and been told yes, you will need a constant current reg.
nhoj_yelbom 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
it says in the manual, found here ( http://lumileds.com/pdfs/AB11.PDF) that you can use resistors and any voltage
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic