icon

speaker ohm testing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racefan15 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I have 2  12"DVC 4 ohm subs (the new Orion HP series). I have them in the back of my 00' mustang gt and had to build the box insode the trunk, so checking my wiring is not that easy.

I want to know if I go the store and get an ohm meter, is all I have to do is touch the leads of the meter to the positive and negative speaker connection on my amp to see what the load on the amp is?

Im pretty sure i wired everything correctly to give me a 1 ohm load, but i want to make sure that the amp is really getting the minimum of 1 ohm and that i wired it correctly... Thanks again guys.

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Yes.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Sort of.  What you will be metering is the DC resistance of the subs.  Impedance is the total resistive load from resistance, inductance, and capacitance in an AC circuit.  Generally a 4 ohm nominal impedance will have a DCR of 3.2 ohms.  A 1 ohm nominal impedance will have a DCR of around .8 ohms.  However I have found many manufacturers DCR's vary quite a bit from this and therefore their impedance ratings on the subs be off as well.  For instance an Infinity Kappa component set was rated at 2 ohms, and it's DCR was up at 2.8 ohms. 
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

(I think he'll like my answer better...)

speaker ohm testing -- posted image.

racefan15 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

LOL, yes boulder. But that is only because I dont understand what Steven is talking about. Im not that great at all this stuff. Just trying to do things myself so if anything ever goes wrong I can fix it myself.

Is there an easy test with the same volt meter than can tell me how many amps my system is drawing from my stock alternator?

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:

(I think he'll like my answer better...)

speaker ohm testing -- posted image.

True, but when he produces the test and his meter shows a number other than 1 ohms, this will create even more confusion.  Hopefully my answer explains the difference he will more than likely find.  Let's just say I'm trying to answer a future questions ahead of time. speaker ohm testing -- posted image.

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

What's he's saying is that your reading won't be precise - a 1 ohm setup may read as .8 or 1.3 ohms.

For the alt test, hold the hood latch in one hand & alternator contact in the other while your friend revs the engine.  If you can make it more than 20 secs, you need a HO alternator.

Really, I don't know how to test that.

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
Let's just say I'm trying to answer a future questions ahead of time. speaker ohm testing -- posted image.

Good plan.  Now if we could just get them to search...

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
You generally just go by the fuse ratings of the amp.  If you plan for that much draw, you'll be good.  However, if you want to test, use a clamp on meter that goes over the power wire.  Current usage will constantly change with the music/volume level since it is dynamic.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

racefan15 wrote:
Im not that great at all this stuff. Just trying to do things myself so if anything ever goes wrong I can fix it myself.

While I'm all about DIY & learning, this scenario pretty much guarantees you'll be doing repairs.  Unless you enjoy the work consider using a good local shop, you can buy 1000's of hours of experience for a couple hundred bucks.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic