icon

speaker ohm testing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racefan15 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Good advice boulder. Now back to Stevens advice... how would you suggest doing it the accurate way then?  Thanks guys.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Without an impedance meter, you can't. Your DCR (what your meter will measure) will generally be lower than your actual impedance. Your best bet is to pay careful attention to HOW you are wiring your woofers (parallel, series-parallel, series), and then do the math, based on the manufacturers specification for YOUR woofer set.
If you INSIST on using the meter method, you might be even further confused by the numbers you receive. Steven was correct in giving you a heads-up, letting you know that you are going to see odd numbers, and not even close to what you think you are expecting.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

Steven's points are good and you'll be glad to hear them now before you start testing.  If you were testing using my digital multimeter and read 1.9 ohms, you'd probably think you had a 2 ohm impedance.  My meter reads .7 to .8 ohms when I touch the probes together...this is "internal resistance".  So everytime I use it to get a DCR or resistance measurement I have to subtract that .8 ohm internal resistance from the reading.  In the case of getting 1.9 ohms, the real reading would be 1.1 ohms DCR and that figures to be an impedance value of about 1.4 ohms.  Close enough to 1 ohm, better than being under.

When your target value is a very low number, like in your case with wanting to find 1 ohms, the difficulty in getting an accurate measurement is increased because of the factors 1) internal meter resistance, and 2) conversion of DCR reading to nominal impedance (which should be something like DCR X 1.25 = impedance).

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic