icon

trunk solenoid on Mazda3?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Techmaster 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
I'm curious if anyone on here has ever done a trunk solenoid on a Mazda3. If so, how did they go about it? The car's latch is on the trunk lid, but it has multiple things that pull it to open the trunk.
- There is a lever by the driver's seat with a cable running back to the trunk. It simply moves a little lever on the bottom of the trunk, that when the trunk is closed, that lever hits a part of the lever on the lid, that opens the latch.
- The keyhole is on the trunk lid, and it has a rod that opens the latch.
- There is a glow-in-the-dark pull on the inside of the trunk on the lid, that also pulls the latch.
So, I have a few areas that I can attach the solenoid's wire to. But, I'm curious as to how and where I can actually mount the solenoid. This is my first attempt at installing a trunk solenoid, but I'm definitely interested in learning. ;) I just did a Clifford 3.5 install, complete with remote start (requiring a transponder bypass), door locks, trunk and hood both being monitored...so this *should* be easy, relatively speaking.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
its different for every car i tent to drill a hole on the lever that the key puls and mount the solenoid so it pulls that.. nut its different for every car.
this is one of the area's where it comes down to the installer to make the decision that best suits the equipment that they are using.
somebody would have mounted a solenoid a certain way but it might not work for you if you are using a different style solenoid
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
keither 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
I used a door lock actuator in the last one that I did. It seemed easier than trying to mount a 2lb peice of metal to a very flimsy hatch. I hooked it up from the passengers side to push on the rod that comes from the tumbler to the release mechanism. It worked great!
Techmaster 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
I heard about using those door lock actuators, but didn't think about the fact that they're easier to mount...but that makes a lot of sense. The huge round trunk solenoid I got is definitely NOT something that I would call easy to mount. It came with a crappy bracket and the directions actually reccommend sandwiching it around sheet metal of the trunk and screwing down the screws somewhat. It doesn't look like a very secure method at all, to mount (as you said) a 2 pound chunk of metal. It's huge and extremely heavy.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2006 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
LOL that they are.. but you got to use them in some cases because of their pulling power
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic