98 Dodge Dakota Infinity System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
digitalscream 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Here is my story:

I have wired in a new Kenwood head unit, replacing the stock CD/Cassette deck in my 98 Dodge Dakota. I didn't get any sound from any of the speakers. I replace the stock head unit and they worked just fine. I proceeded to run the 12V 8-gauge power cable from the battery to behind the passenger seat. While removing the passenger kick panel I noticed another amplifier, Chrysler brand. (I will be working on this today and will grab the model number). I realized that the stock stereo was not supplying the speakers directly, but instead probably supplying some line-level input, possibly power, etc. and this amp was wired to the speakers. I found two wiring harnesses attached to it and can only conclude that one is input (to amp) and the other is output (to speakers).

All of this is relatively simple. However, instead of cutting off the wiring harnesses to the amp I would like to buy an adapter that can bypass the amplifier altogether. The only thing I haven't done, which I will be doing today, is look to see if the speakers themselves have amplifiers built onto them.

I am looking for the wiring diagram for the amplifier that is installed with the Infinity sound system. This will allow me to either build an adapter, or possibly just cut off the factory harnesses and just hardwire the bypass.

Thanks for any help!

Luke

hawn13 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
all you need to do is hook the blue white wire from kenwood radio to the blue wire on the harness that plugs in to the car if you used one. this will turn on the amp.
digitalscream 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply. I was able to figure that out right after I posted that message. What you described was exactly what I did.

I was almost going to rewire the speakers when I took a multimeter and did some tracing of the leads. After writing out the diagram I noticed that all I needed was to connect the remote lead.

One thing I noticed was that the harness/adapter that I purchased did in fact have a blue lead, but it was labelled Power Antenna. The wire that it was connected to, that traced back to the amp, was in fact the remote power.

My system works perfectly now...

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic