icon

four eclipse 12's, 2000 intrepid, bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tee17 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I just installed 4 eclipse 12's in my 2000 intrepid. they are on a bd500. Although the guy i bought it from tweaked the board in the amp so its way louder than a regular bd500. Here is my dilemma. The bass inside the car is great and the car can be heard coming from two block away, but when you get up close on the car the bass is no where near the same. i would rather have it the other way around. I could be standing next to the car and i get a little noise, but once i get in the car its completely different. The way the subs are in the box there are two in the front and 1 on each side. Any help here would be great.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
So inside the car is not as loud as outside?  This is an example of cancellation.  You need to play around with box positioning, or if you can't because of the size, etc., may need to build another box.  Ideally, you want your subs all firing from the same plane so the sound waves are in phase with each other.  If this is not possible due to space constraints, you can downsize to 2 subs in a properly designed/place enclosure or build 2 seperate enclosures (with 2 subs each) firing towards each other (or slightly angled) in the rear quarter panels.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tee17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Its the opposite. its MUCH louder inside
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well, it SHOULD be much louder inside.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tee17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
And thats fine. But wheni get out of the car i should be able to hear some type of power when i step out. not just on the inside or when im at a distance
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
It is also wavelength. Sound has frequencies, frequencies have wavelengths. Back to Physics 11 you go (I failed it....). Remember the train sounding it's horn as it comes upon a crossing, the sound changes as it comes closer and as it passes by and leaves, this is the same principle as to what you are hearing in your bass response. I too would reconfigure the sub box and try to get them all firing the same direction as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
It is just like positioning a subwoofer in your living room. The bass sounds different everywhere you stand and you have to find optimal positioning. When the sound waves arent hitting your ear at a full cycle the bass will sound different. Sound waves can be manipulated in a few key ways, ie: horn loading drivers.
Even where you stand and how far away will affect the bass response. Try walking around your car at different distances and see where it sounds best. Then when you want to show it off to someone, have them stand there!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic