the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need reviews of pioneer z1anyone have it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
im thinking of picking up a z1 for my other car and was wondering how you like it? i have a d1 in my other car and i like it alot, but the ipod interface sucks, i have had alpines older dvd nav also and the maps were too outdated, now im looking at the z1 for a nav system. Is the price worth it? or am i better just getting another d1/d2 its about $800 more for the z1 than d1 for me, hard drive spped, 10 gig storage, .5" larger screen and voice control worth it? and dvd playback? btw i never watch dvds on the front screen so that option is not important for me. Any other improvements worth it? im trying to justify the extra $ TIA.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
Watersurgeon 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2006 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
I started another thread on this subject on some of our first had observations.
1. Music on the hard drive is a big issue. First you can only load up Digitaly licensed music. That means CD's in the last 10 or so years. Although we did not try this its our understanding that Cd's from lets say the early 80's do not have digital license encoding and apparently because of this they cannot be loaded into the Z1.
Mp3,or other music formats cannot be loaded onto the drive.
The unit we played with did not have the ipod interface, so were waiting on feed back as to whether licensed Ipod Itunes music can be loaded onto the drive. Its are understaind that this cannot be done because of Itunes license agreement. Of course if you own a pc many people now how to sercumvent the Itunes license.
Even if you owned your own licensed copies of old records etc... you can't load this info onto the unit. For example I have 100's if not 1000's of first run albmus, demo albums, etc... I knew someone in the 70'sand 80's who worked at a major record label and gave me albums by the box as they were pressed. Anyways some of the bands are good, most are average. Its kind of nice to make cd's of the good bands and use them. Im always getting comments like, hey who's that band,they have a great tune, I want to get that cd, etc... I end up telling them it was so and so band from 79', or 84' etc... Would be nice to load these onto the drive.
Even if we could have gotten the unit to copy at 4 x normal CD's it would take weeks to load up music onto the drive. Think about it, you have to insert a cd pick a track, record it, pick another track, record that one, when your done pull the cd put another in repeat. It would have been nice if there was some type of USB interface inwhich a lap top could be connected and then upload a music directory.
We posted questions on the hard drive, and are waiting feed back. Namely I want to know who makes it because I have direct connections to virtually every hard drive manufacture, and I think I might be able to contact who ever makes the drive and get some additional information on its durability. Hard drives in things that bounce, jolt, jerk, etc.... don't last long. Again, it would be nice if you could make a copy of the drive onto a lap top that way if the drive failed you could swap it out and be up and running again. Think about it. You can make backup copies for your PC, but not the hard drive in your nav system.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic