icon

Xterra front speakers not fitting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kobaltic 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
I got a 2003 Xterra coming in that needs 2 front new speakers. They are listed at 6 1/2's. The customer bought 2 new 6 1/2's and wants me to put them in. The problem is the factory speakers are conformed into a plastic housing that has tabs that extend to screw into the door. The hole for the speakers is so large the new speakers don't fit and almost fall into the door. I can't get enough metal to show on at least 2 holes to drill into the door. I was thinking about cutting out the factory speakers and mounting the new ones into the ring and using that to go back in the door. Although that is alot of work and the customer doesn't want to spend alot of money. Is there a kit that i can use to mount the speakers. I checked metra but they don't seem to have one. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2006 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
You could do that, but I'd probably just cut some rings out of mdf.  You can trace the shape of the old speakers out, and rough cut it or router it.  Then you'll want to treat them so that water won't destroy them- at least spray paint them black.  Rob will probably tell you to coat them with fiberglass resin.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

Yup I would. Either that or better yet is to make the baffle board out of 1/4" black abs. Do not use any material that is thinner than 1/4" or it is going to flex really bad, end result is a loss of bass response.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

I've got a 2002 Nissan Xterra You'll need 1" spacers, lots of companies make universal 6.5 inch x 1inch ring spacers. if you dont use them the window will hit the back of the speaker.

Candy

Uncle Gumby
Kobaltic 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

Well If I was to use wood I would fiberglass it. I have alot more fiberglass then paint. This is my friends car and I am not going to make a dime off of this and time is sorta an issue. I guess i could look around for some cheap prefrab rings.

Thanks candy I never thought about the window hitting the speaker. I haven't come across that problem yet.

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Don't go cheap on the adapters though.  It can cause a lot of sound problems if they are crappy.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
tcbturbosux 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

your welcome.Xterra front speakers not fitting - Last Post -- posted image.

Candy

Uncle Gumby
tcbturbosux 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

Oh and by the way the ones I used were Metra model nuber is 82-4300

Candy

Uncle Gumby
r_wern 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2006 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I did an install on a 2002 Nissan pickup and had the same problem.  Rather than use spacers or aftermarket adapters,  I just took a razor blade and cut the speaker surround and pulled the cone out of that plastic assembly.  Then I took an air grinder and cut plastic basket assembly and the magnet off the back.  It made a perfect sized adapter for the aftermarket speakers.  Of course, you don't want to do this if the customer wants the old speakers. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic