the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

car subwoofers in a room

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2006 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Put two Infinity Reference 12" woofers into a single chamber that is 5 cuft net and port it at 24Hz (dual ports 4" diameter X 10.5" long.)  Use a 250 watt subwoofer plate amp like THIS and you will get >118db @ 45Hz and in-room response should be >100db down to 20Hz.  Should sound pretty good in 5 cuft sealed as well.  In fact, sealed might actually sound better now that I look at the graphs, and it'd be a lot easier to build!
Support the12volt.com
92bgze 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

This is my 1st post, but I think I may have some feedback on using car subs in the house..

I have 2 12in audiobahns in a sealed enclosure that I have a dedicated reciever used just to power them (old sherwood rv-1340r w/ eq). I use a seperate reciever for the fronts, center, etc. What I really want is to build a passive crossover for them, but I dont know how and is actually how I stumbled upon this site. Back to topic..

The subs face the wall in a corner and are well hidden.....And let me say it is insanely loud and deep. Movies are awsome to watch, and I suppose an actual home theater setup would suffice, but I like the bass. The mid can get  a tad harsh up too loud but the eq helps a little.

a good idea, go for it .

saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
i did it with a car amp and my W7.
here is how i did it.
Computer PSU (cheap dont care if it blows)
Amp
Speakers
* I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING*
cut off a Molex (the 4 pin connector) and use the Yellow Wire as 12v and use the black as ground.. then take a jumper wire from RMT to 12v
then short out on the 20(24) pin cable from the PSU the Green and black wire.. or pin 4 and 6 respecitively.
i had my w7 shaking stuff off peoples walls 5 rooms down which is solid concrete walls.
anotherloserkid 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

i dont follow you

whats a computer PSU?

Im not to good with electronics.....

saturnsubohio 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Computer Power Supply Unit.
the thing that you plug into the wall from the back of you Computer.
its rated in Watts, which is the sum of Amps*Volts on the "Rails"
I cant really get into the details.. but a cheap one is like 350 W, a good one is like 550W
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
anotherloserkid 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
that sounds tight. I might give it a try if i get bored
saturnsubohio 
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
again....
* I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING*
now i'll explain why not to do that.
Power supply units supply DC Voltage @ the following levels 12v,5v and 3.3v the general gauge in the computer world of how good a PSU is, is its Amperage on the 12v Rail. The highest commercially available PSU can deliver about 70amps @ 12V... however the car amp i hooked up drew more and i certainly wasnt using the top of the line..
bottom line, your amps will pull ALOT more current than the PSU can deliver, and it delivers 12v MAX sometimes it may drop to 10v or lower depending on load. you can blow your amp and the PSU or both.
but a W7 @ 900W is really loud.. and a great way to prove a point that you dont want to listen to Jungle Fever for 8 days straight.
thats the premise for the story.
Sorry for the long post
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

saturnsubohio wrote:
i did it with a car amp and my W7.
here is how i did it.
Computer PSU (cheap dont care if it blows)

This is NOT a good idea for the average person unless they know somethng about electricity and how to work with it safely.

Support the12volt.com
saturnsubohio 
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
Very Very True.. DYohn.
Guys my suggestion would be do not try it. It was dumb of me to do, knowing full well the laws of electricity, here's the simplified reason why not to do it
you have an amp which pulls 100Amps the PSU can supply @ most 40amps.
something is not right in Dodge with #'s like that.
but it does work, and worked for about 3 months with no major faults
PS: Im an EE Undergrad and a Dedicated Computer Overclocker.
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
eternal1 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
i never thought of doing it that way always figured it would be enough power for it. though the thought did cross my mind:) what i ended up doing was just using some old speaker cabinents (kenwood) and put two cerwin vegas in the wholes and some cheap (radio shack) mids and tweets using the existing crossover. it was powered with a 200watt pioneer receiver. sounded really great for a long time. however i did run into the problem that most home receivers (back then at least) wont drop to a 4ohm load. since mine were dual voice coils it was no problem to put them at 8 and shake the room. if your speakers are 8ohms or can be made 8ohms then i would go that route and make those your front left and rights.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic