icon

Does port Direction matter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

I am planning on building a box for a Rockford T2 10'' sub this summer.  I'm planning on building a stealth console for it and making the enclosure ported.  I am going to follow the reccomended specs from Rockford but the box is going to have to be shaped to fit. 

Now to the question... Does the direction (or side of the box) that the port exits compared to the subwoofer matter?  I'd like to have my port facing back while the sub fires down. Any suggestions?  Thank you!

-Dstang24

Team Edge Audio
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Ideally the port should be on the same baffle as the woofer, but in any case the port should exit into the same air space as the woofer.
Support the12volt.com
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Excellent!  Thank you! My design with the port firing down along with the subwoofer is the best design.

-Dstang24

Team Edge Audio
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
In a ported enclosure would the majority of the sound waves be coming from the exterior of the woofer, or from the inside and out the port?
Black Dak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

I am wondering the same thing, but my sub is facing forward in a center console.

The box consists of a console between the front seats and going up between them, where the sub if mounted, facing forward.  I have spots on the bottom either front or rear to put a port, but don't know where or how big.

Actually, I know completely nothing about ports, only that my enclosure needs one.

I'd appreciate any help.

ocsteveo2003 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  

for the best results I would try and load the port up to anything with structual value.....

Point the port and get the exit close to something that has heavy support like the back of the cab of a truck, the trunk lid, back of the seat....something that the air exiting the port can load up on........

Keep in mind when building your enclosure that the enclosure is the heart of what makes the subwoofer perform as it should.....short cuts and improper porting will make a high dollar sub sound like a flea market special.....

steve thomas
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
In ported systems the woofer produces most of the sound except right around the port frequency, where the resonance from the port produces most of the sound.  At and below the port frequency you want to protect the woofer by using a subsonic filter, as the loading of the enclosure changes to basically that of "free air" and the woofer can be driven beyond its mechanical limits very easily.
Support the12volt.com
Black Dak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17787&page=2&pp=15

You guys are killing me!  This stuff is much more technical than I thought.  Maybe someone can look at the link?  On that page there is a pic of my enclosure, maybe that will give someone a better idea what I am dealing with.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Black Dak, start a thread on your subject.  The forum needs to know the sub and amp, wiring to what impedance, all that to get an overall picture.  Also you need to measure the internal dimensions of that enclosure.  Post links to your sub etc. if you can, to make it simpler for others to look at them.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic