icon

Trunk side fg enclosurs, four 10'' subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gaines 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
This is my first fg project so I'm hoping to get tips on how to make it go smoothly. I've skimmed the forums and google for tutorials and guides and have read quite a bit on the topic, but was wondering if there's anything specifically applicable to this project that might not be in a standard guide.
Below is a picture of what I'm trying to end up with.
Trunk side fg enclosurs, four 10'' subs - Last Post -- posted image.
I plan on taping the metal and making the shell along the trunk edge and using a MDF board for the front in which I'll mount the two 10" subs.
FYI, the car is a 2003 Chrysler Sebring GTC and these are RE-10 subs. The website specifies that each sub should have .83ft^3, but when I talked to one of the techs from RE they said I actually only need .5ft^3 to get the tightest bass, but the official spec will give me lower tones. He also said that the cone/magnet has a displacement of 1ft^3. My plan is to make the shell and turn it on its side and fill it with the desired volume of water then mark where the surface touches along the fg. I can then cut along the mark and mound the MDF there for a fairly exact volume.
Also, I purchased the following materials from SelectProducts.com:
1qt MEKP hardener
1gal Fiberglass Resin
Stitched Mat 12OZ 50"" x 2YD"
blufab 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
I would suggest you use packing peanuts to measure the volume instead of water, read the sticky " Sticky Packing peanut volume measurement". Also that install looks basic so if you have done your background research you should be good to go.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

for a little added visual have you considered inverting the two subs closest to the rear of the car? to do so you would  have to either:

A. reverse polarity of the inverted subs, or

B. put each sub in its own box...they can obviously share a face but separate chambers...like mentioned above the rest of the install looks pretty basic and should not be overly difficult..

couple things i would do for this install:

A. Make sure the hole for the spare will allow the spare to be removed with having to remove the floor,

B. Make the flase floor out of two halves, split either way you want (which ever is easiest for you toget into and out of the car)...but make sure they go under the sub boxs into the cubbies behind the wheel wells, this will give you something very large to fasten your boxes down to, making it virtually impossible to remove the system with taking the individual components themselves.

C. for aesthetic purposes you may want to consider pulling the amprack out a little further for show..and integrating it a little more with the boxes on either side of it..right now it almost looks like an after thought..

And BTW what kinda specs did Resdent Engineering give you on those subs...i am curious about them and would like to do some inquiring...got a web linky?

Fiberglass Guru.
gaines 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
When you talk about inverting a sub, are you talking about mounting it so the magnet and basket are outside the box? I'm not very fond of that look.
As for the spare, I'm reconsidering even having one. I'm starting to think a couple cans of fix-a-flat would be a better solution...and AAA. I don't currently have a nice full size spare (I just photoshopped in one of my current wheels).
I did think about doing something a little more visually impressive with the amps as that amp rack is more utilitarian and doesn't show much off, but at the same time I'm trying to save trunk space and anything else is only going to take up more space.
As for the specs, if you go to www.reaudio.com and look under the Technical section you'll see all the specs for the subs. They are the RE line (lowest priced). IMHO, most of the higher lines aren't really better quality as much as louder for SPL competition.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic