icon

LED Specifications?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01sesedan 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2003 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Do you guys think this information is accurate. I'm planning on adding a few to my car. How should I go about connecting them so i can control them with a switch??

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.

GENERAL LED HANDLING PRECAUTIONS

CAUTION: The light output from Super Bright Leds is intense enough to injure human eyes at close range. You should never look directly at the LED source for more than a few seconds.

CAUTION: LEDS are static sensitive devices. Observe static sensitivity handling precautions, such as wearing a grounded wrist strap when handling.

When forming leads, the leads should be bent at a point at least 3 mm from the base of the led.

Avoid damage to LEDS by soldering for no longer than 3 seconds with 700° iron.

LED life expectancy is based on current and temperature. You can expect our LEDS to last approximately 100,000 hours at 20 ma with ambient temperature of 20° C.

LED BRIGHTNESS versus VIEWING ANGLE

LEDS in CARS and BOATS

To use leds for 12 Volt applications you must simply connect a resistor in series with the led or leds. The led will drop some of the 12 volts and limit the current. See the Forward Voltage spec on the spec sheets for typical and maximum forward voltage, they're not all the same. Use a 1/8th watt or larger resistor soldered to the anode of the led and connect the +12 to the resistor. The chart below shows you the forward current for each color led with a single led in series with a 470 ohm resistor connected to 12 VDC. The current (and led brightness) will be slightly higher when the vehicle's engine is running because the battery charging system keeps the voltage up at around 13~14 volts. You can connect up to 4 red, orange, or yellow leds in series with each other and one resistor to power with 12 volts. The value of the current resistor must be lowered, depending on how many leds are in series. A maximum of 3 of the other colors can be in series across 12 volts, because of their higher forward voltage requirement. More 12 volt led replacements for some common car bulbs will soon be available on this site.

LED COLORRESISTOR-OhmsCURRENT @ 12V
WHITE47018 ma
BLUE47018 ma
GREEN47018 ma
AQUA47018 ma
RED47020 ma
YELLOW47020 ma
ORANGE47021 ma

absolute maximum ratings: (TA=25°C)
PARAMETER
SYMBOL
RATING
UNIT
Power Dissipation
PD
mW
Continuous Forward Current
IF
mA
Peak Forward Current
IFM
mA
Reverse Voltage
VR
V
Operating Temperature
TA
-40~+85
°C
Storage Temperature
TSTG
-40~+85
°C
Reverse Current (VR=5V)
IR
µa
Lead Soldering Temperature (3mm from body) 260C (for 3 seconds)
Part Number: RL5-B2430 Super-Blue LED (GaN)

hope this makes sense.

optoelectric characteristics:
PARAMETER
SYMBOL
MAX
TYP
UNIT
TEST
View Angle of Half Power
2ų1/2
Degree
Forward Voltage
VF
V
IF=20mA
Peak Emission Wavelength
’ P
nm
Luminous Intensity
IV
mcd
IF=20mA
01sesedan 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2003 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

my question is about the lower part of the post.

is this information correct and if not is there a better way of connecting them??

i'm planning on adding a few to the car and want to be able to control them with a switch. the total mount would be 5 to 10 of them.  any input would be greatly appreciated. also can you recomment a site that sells l.e.d.s

sorry for the bad post.

thanks.

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2003 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, sorry 3/4 of this post is muddled because a large picture is taking over the page.  But other than that....umm most of the time with LED's a simple 470ohm to ground in series with the LED, and then just parallel them across.  The voltage across each node will be the same, the current will not be the same, but it should not be a problem.  Since LED's are really low power devices, you can easily put 12-20 of them in a "parallel" without any problems.  Now, I don't follow exactly what you want to achieve by hooking them up.   Are you looking to have them turn on and off in some pattern??  what does your control do?  If you are using a switch to control it, then you have to have some sort of logic circuit to turn on and off the correct LEDs that you desire to see. 

let me know

Craig

01sesedan 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  

I want to be able to control the leds with a switch of some sort.

Maybe 4 or 5 per switch.

Thanks for replying by the way.

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

Then what is the question????  From everything you posted you have your answer on how to hook it up.  And the information is correct, well I disagree with their wording, but it is correct non the less.

Craig

01sesedan 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
thats it. thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic