icon

where to start to learn fiberglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carstereonewb 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
yea im pretty good friends with the stereo shop around here and tehy will give me materials around at there cost but still would be nice to have someone looking ver my shoulder.
If the cars not shaking the radio's to quiet
slimmatic 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
I'd suggest just diving in. That is what I did. Before you do that, of course, spend hours reading posts on this forum and others. My first project was my door panels. I completely fiberglassed them and added speaker/tweeter pods. Like stated above, have a plan for what you will do. Fiberglass is nice since you can always sand it down and rework it. It may take a lot of time, but you will learn. Some of my biggest tips would be that if you are fiberglassing a piece of your interior, reinstall it after it drys slighty, and let it fully dry in your car. Otherwise it will shrink and not fit right. And also... also check to make sure things fit before continuing. Good luck.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
An 11 car car-port allows me to let a few less fortunates come in at a time and get to the grind, I never sugar coat it for anyone though.  But Ill never hold anyone back from their creativity...I remeber how I started out!!!!   Anyways, if you want to learn fiberglass....GET TO IT!  Start with an image of the end product in your mind...read all of the forums and build-ups from the Demo cars you can...apply your own similar or even an identical operation that will give you the desired result......THEN JUMP RIGHT IN AND GET BUSY BOY!!!  Also, have fun, dont discourage yourself  WHEN you screw up, think of a solution to the challenge at hand and over-come it. 
playr747 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
I've been doing it for years now, I started when I was 17 working at tweeter's. I had the pleasure of learning the basics from one of the best. He was in on the first Installer Challenge. I say just parctice and offer your services for free even to your friends to start. Have them buy the materials if you choose.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic