icon

Need to slow dome activation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tikech 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah I did disconnect the front relay with the rear still connected, all worked great then.

The factory alarm triggers from the door pins going to ground.

The 10A output from the crimestopper is set as a ground signal, even though it can be via a jumper switch to be a 12+ signal.

I think I may follow KPierson suggestion and connect the crimestoppers dome lamp output to the factory alarm disarm wire with a diode so that it will disarm the alarm as soon as the lights switch on.  I just don't understand how adding those relays for the dome circuits are causing this problem.  If anything I would think that adding a relay in between the crimestopper and the dome circuit would slow things down. This is just bugging me.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  

I like dualsports sugguestion that it may be current related.  You're relays are going to pull a significant amount of current over a dome light.

Thats the only thing that makes sense to me.  It also seems like you should be able to diode isolate the two circuits and make them work, I would double check that you had the diodes facing the correct way, and that both diodes were big enough to handle the current, and both working properly.

Beyond that, I am still thinking hooking the dome light supervision output of the alarm will eliminate the factory alarm from going off when you disarm.  Good luck!

Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, if you have a separate alarm disable input on your factory alarm, that would be the best way to go; just connect the dome light control from your keyless entry to it with the diode. How is it currently hooked up? Does the factory alarm also disarm just from the door locks unlocking?
It shouldn't compromise security if you do it as Kevin suggests, since it's only going to be active when the keyless entry is activated.
I would guess the diodes originally tried for direct control of the dome lights from the 10A control were too small to handle the current. I usually don't like to use diodes to drive powered stuff unless it's really necessary, best using them primarily for signal control.
KPierson 
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

Something else that is strage is the fact that the alarm module isn't disarming the OEM alarm before turning on the domelight output.  Typical chain of commands would be: Disarm OEM alarm, then Unlock Doors, then turn on dome light.

Keep us updated on the progress, I would love to know what fixes it in the end.

Kevin Pierson
tikech 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Something else that is strage is the fact that the alarm module isn't disarming the OEM alarm before turning on the domelight output.  Typical chain of commands would be: Disarm OEM alarm, then Unlock Doors, then turn on dome light.

Keep us updated on the progress, I would love to know what fixes it in the end.

When I had the crimestopper dome light wire hook directly to the front dome lamp\door pin circuit it worked just as it should: Disarm OEM alarm, then Unlock Doors, then turn on dome light.

It's like the adding the relays somehow sped up the dome lamp activation. This may not make any sense to you guys in the know, but I think that the relays that I added were just putting a much stronger\cleaner ground signal on the dome lamp circuits then when the crimestopper was directly grounding those same circuits.  It also had nothing to do with the newly added rear dome lamp circuit, I tapped into that circuit at the rear dome lamp switch on the center console. After studying the wiring diagram noticed  the OEM alarm and door switches were wired before the console switch with I diode isolating them. The dome lamps are after the console switch. So when grounding the circuit from the console switch only the lamps were getting ground and the signal was stopped at the factory diode isolating it from the OEM alarm so that you could turn on the rear lights with the alarm set.  They didn't use this setup in the front because the front dome lamp and switch are in the same unit with the front door pins only activating the timer in that unit.

So enough rambling, how did I fix the problem.  As suggested above I connected the crimestopper dome lamp wire to the OEM disarm wire.  I did use a diode but not were you guys thought that I would need it.  I had to add a diode, but it's to prevent activating the newly added relays from being grounded when unlocking the door with the key, as the micro switch in the door lock was grounding the circuit and activating the dome lamps while the key was in the unlock position.  I didn't have to add a diode were subjected because the crimestopper dome lamp wire and the factory dome lamp circuits are not connected to each other. The crimestopper is just connected the the new relays that are connected to the dome lamp circuit so its is not possible to open the doors and disarm the OEM alarm.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the suggestions.

KPierson 
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

Congrats!  Wow, I think we actually finally helped someone, we can shut the site down now!!!  :)

Thats an interesting problem/solution.  Honestly, it doesn't make much sense to me, but its good to know its fixed and now operating how you want it to.  Good job! 

Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
My head's still spinning trying to picture the setup Need to slow dome activation - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. All that matters is that it works though-
What was the factory alarm disarm input hooked up to before you connected it to the dome output signal? Just wondering what was used to disarm the alarm before, if it wasn't connected-
tikech 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

dualsport, see the link below for a crude diagram of what we are talking about. The items highlighted in pink were added for this project\non factory. It would have worked great if I could have just added a diode like the one from the factory on the rear dome lamp circuit.  The diagram doesn't show this but there are two other lamps on each circuit that are installed in the doors. To add a diode that did the same job as the factory diode would have required a lot of rewiring, A.K.A work!  Before I added the dome lamp relays and connected the dome lamp wire to the OEM disarm wire, the OEM alarm was disarmed\armed whenever the car unlocked\unlocked. This was accomplished by the crimestopper locking and unlocking the central locking system on the trunk lock circuit. It is still armed in the same way, via the trunk lock circuit.

http://www.vanpeters.com/benz/12volt.jpg

I definitely have respect for you guys that do this for a living. I think its fun coming up with things to do on my own car. I have a good understanding of how this car is designed\wired. I could not imagine having to go from one car to the other, all designed by different companies and such drastically different in there setup.

Thanks

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic