icon

Shaved door wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dakotadan23 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all.  I've ghosted this site for a while to primarily learn how to do fiberglass.  However, I'm trying to wire in a set of solenoids for my shaved door handles.  I *thought* I had everything together this weekend, but when I hit the button, nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.  What I have is as follows:

12V to the 86 and 30 tabs on the relay - I took one power wire from the battery and spliced it to get 12V at each terminal (Confirmed by my meter) instead of running two separate power wires

The 87 terminal goes to the solenoid which is a self-grounding unit via the mounting screws.

The 85 terminal *should* be the input from my alarm/remote.  I've got a Clifford Matrix 3 unit, and I'm assuming one of the channel outs should be the activation lead for this terminal.  I connected channel 2 out to the terminal on the relay

The 87a terminal is not used.

When I hooked everything up and nothing happened, I direct wired a switch instead of using the remote, and nothing happened there, either.

Thanks,

Dan

1948 Chevrolet Fleetline - rat rod
1998 Dodge Dakota full custom
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - wife's daily
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT - 'cause 30mpg don't suck!
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

If you touch terminal 85 to a good ground does that relay click and then on the other one doing the same thing does it click ?. If so then I would venture to guess even though the solenoid is self grounding where it is at it is not grounded or the output on the control system is not a momentary ground but a momentary positive. To check the ground on the solenoid, run a jumper wire from the mounting bracket of the solenoid to ground and see if it works. If it does, run a ground from the solenoid into the interior and to a clean bare metal spot under the dash or firewall.

I would also seperately fuse each relay this way if one assembly fails and blows it's fuse the other side should still work. If one fuse protects both doors it only takes one to fail and then both become inoperative.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
dakotadan23 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the response.  I did think about the solenoid not being grounded properly, so I did run a jumper from the mounting bracket to a known good ground.  Still no luck.  What I'm thinking now is that the relay itself needs to be grounded.  The unused 87a terminal shows 12V with everything wired in the way the schematic shows.  The only other thing I can think of is that the output I'm using (the Matrix channel via remote) is not the output I *should* be using.  Also, when I hook up a direct 12V to the solenoid, it does activate.

Dan

Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

Terminal 86 and 85 should be for the coil inside the relay. If you have 12 volts on terminal 86 like in your first post then grounding terminal 85 should make the relay click. Does it do that ?. If so when it clicks terminal 30 connects to terminal 87 thus sending power out of 87 to your solenoid.

I really doubt your relay has to be grounded. Either the output wire on the Clifford is not outputting a ground for the relay to click or the relay is bad (even though it clicks does not mean terminal 30 will connect with terminal 87. Check into it more with a meter.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
dakotadan23 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

Jim, I really appreciate your time.  Speaking of  clicking, after reading your posts and checking the schematic, something clicked with me, and I'm almost positive I know what the problem is.  If there's enough daylight when I get home tonight, I'll double check, and let you know.

Thanks!

Dan

dakotadan23 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

Got home last night, found my theory was correct about what was wrong, and bingo!  Got the solenoids to fire away.  Now, all I need to do is find a good switched ground on the Clifford to receive my remote signal.  Thanks again, Jim.

Dan

yz125rider21 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
everything I have is from autoloc and I got it all wired in and nothing is happening...got the stellar 9000 and the shave door handle kit and think my problem is between the relay and the brain cause I have it all wired right and nothing happens when I hit unlock or hit trunk tried both ways to make sure and zippo....please help someone
yz125rider21 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
ok I did a look ove rand looks good and I touch the white wire from relay 85 to a good gorund and the pooper worked, so I put it back the the trunk wire on the brain and hit my button on remote and got nothing...I am really new to this but dont have money to fork out to have a shop do it and let alone I went to have them do it before on my honda cvrx but they said there was no way in hell to mount solenoid so I did it mylsef and turned out pretty, lil bit off cutting and drilling but came out nice...well anyway off the info I just gave you what could it beee...thanks in advance
forklift 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
if its like a DEI, you'll need to hold the trunk button for 3 seconds
hoping I pass the 1st class for the first time on 5-18-6, wish me luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic