icon

Compustar 2WSS-AS brain fried?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigfieroman 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a Compustar 2WSS-AS in my car, and everything was working great. While I was mounting the box and hiding the wires, the alarm went crazy and started beeping like mad. I had been in the middle of pushing a panel into place that hid some relays and wiring. I pulled it back down, and there were no obvious problems...but two relays' terminals may have touched. I checked out the alarm, and now it beeps 3 times when I try to arm it and shows the trunk as open. I tested the wire connected for trunk trigger, and it is switching properly and sending the correct signals to the brain. I also checked all of the fuses...they are fine.
Is my unit's brain fried?
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
The chips and processor inside the alarm unit runs on smoke. If you haven't release any smoke out of the unit chances are it's still working.
What kind of vehicle,year,model are you installing this unit on?
"but two relays' terminals may have touched." What two relays are you referring to? The more information you can provide the better my guesses will be.
" I tested the wire connected for trunk trigger, and it is switching properly and sending the correct signals to the brain."
What is the polarity? What colour wire is the trigger? Any delays on the tiggers? Any chances of an overlook on your part that you may have taken the door trigger wire instead of the trunk tigger wire couple with a domelight delay?
Error Number (# of times the car chirps
& parking lights flash)
Error Reason
1 Engine On
2 Key On
3 Door Open
4 Trunk Open
5 Brake On
6 Hood Open
7 Reservation Off (Manual Transmission Only)
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Compustar 2WSS-AS brain fried? -- posted image.
bigfieroman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
The vehicle is a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 5-Speed.
I do not know which two relays/terminals, it may not have been what happened, but the 3 relays that had exposed terminals as I pushed the panel into place were the trunk popper and door unlock relays. I could not see what happened because it was behind the panel.
The PURPLE / black wire on the brain is connected to the GREEN/ black wire on my car. The GREEN/ black wire shows ground whenever the doors, hood or trunk is opened, but it is only connected to the trunk trigger wire on the brain. With the car on and the doors/trunk/hood closed, the ajar light goes out, and the PURPLE / black wire no longer shows ground. However, the remote shows the same problem, the trunk being open. There are no delays on the triggers.
I am not using the domelight for anything, that feature is not availible on the manual transmission setup. I have the white wire connected to the door tigger wire, and I added a pin for the engine cover for the "hood pin" because the previously mentioned dark GREEN/ black wire controls everything and would cause my engine to shut down when I opened the door after remote start.
Although your list above shows 3 chirps meaning door open, the remote definately shows the trunk open, not the door.
Thanks for your help, let me know if there is any more info you need.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Here goes.
One stone and one bird at a time.
Remove all your trigger. Close all your doors. If the remote still shows the trunk is open. End of the show! You have issue with either the unit or remote. Get that corrected. Don’t waste your time on the diagnostic.
One stone different bird this time with the assumption that your unit and the pager unit is working.
You have one trigger in the car that gives you an indication that something is open. You indicated that the "GREEN/ black wire shows ground whenever the doors, hood or trunk is opened". Use that one only! Why? Do you really care what is open when your pager unit tells you a door is not completely close? That said, connect the GREEN/ black wire to the door trigger wire of the alarm unit. Beside the hoodpin wire, don't bother with the PURPLE / black wire on the alarm unit unless you want to know what is open or not completely close. Personally, I like to use one wire to trigger everything.   One less wire connected, one less issue to find out why the trunk is still indicating open.    Anyways, I think this will be enough to get you started with your investigation.
DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - PONTIAC / FIERO / 1988 / Remote Start
12volts red    +   ignition harness
Starter yellow    +   ignition harness
Second Starter          
Ignition pink    +   ignition harness
Second Ignition          
Third Ignition          
Accessory orange    +   ignition harness
Second Accessory          
Keysense          
Power Lock lt. blue    +   either kick panel
Power Unlock black    +   either kick panel
Lock Motor          
Unlock Motor          
Parking Lights+ brown      headlight switch
Parking Lights-          
Hazards          
Turn Signal(L)          
Turn Signal(R)          
Reverse Light          
Door Trigger white or dk. grn.    -   pinswitch, cluster
Notes: The white at either pinswitch will catch the doors and the dk. green at the instrument cluster will catch the doors, hood, and trunk.
Dome Supervision          
Trunk/Hatch Pin dk. green    -   instrument cluster
Notes: The white at either pinswitch will catch the doors and the dk. green at the instrument cluster will catch the doors, hood, and trunk.
Hood Pin dk. green    -   instrument cluster
Trunk/Hatch Release          
Power Sliding Door          
Factory Alarm Arm          
Factory Alarm Disarm          
Disarm No Unlock          
Tachometer PURPLE / white    AC ECM
Notes: The ECM is located on the back wall between the seats.
Wait to start          
Brake Wire white    +   steering column
Parking Brake          
Horn Trigger black    -   steering column
Memory Seat 1          
Memory Seat 2          
Memory Seat 3          
Interface Module: Category:
Immobilizer Bypass Required:
No Type:
N/A
Part #: N/A
Notes:
Smart Starter Kill Relays: Not Available

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed electronics, Inc. assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Compustar 2WSS-AS brain fried? -- posted image.
bigfieroman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I tested it today, and the alarm worked with that plug undone, and showed the trunk open with it connected. I am going to investigate more tomorrow night, because one of those triggers has to be bad. I will probably just take your advice and connect everything to the dk GREEN/ black wire, but I am going to try to keep the hood pin seperate if possible just for safety, so the car cannot be started when the hood is open. The one thing that concerns me about the hood wire is that it is a shutdown, so I think if I remote start the car and then walk up and open the door, the engine might shut down.
Also, I want to sincerely thank you for your help and advice so far. You just saved me the trouble of sending this unit back and waiting a week and a half just to find out the unit was fine. You have been a tremendous help and a gentleman to boot.
ZipPhReaK 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
If you use the door trigger wire to trigger everything you need to diode isolate the triggers.. And if your doing this your not connecting to the hoodpin trigger, and thats that trigger that would shutdown the RS.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic