How can I fix my system? Bigger amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
timmyjimmy5150 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

Okay.....Here goes...

I have a ford f150 --- I currently have the 4 door version of the truck with Boston Acoustics RC820 component speakers in all 4 doors..... Here are the speaker specs and I have the tweets flush mounted high in the door corners:

• 5 x 7" woofer with AMD
  • Neo 3r Kortec dome-flush mount tweeter....
  • Now.... Pushing these speakers I have a Pioneer Avic-D1 head unit and a JL 450/4 amp.

Here's my problem/ question ---- The system sounds fine driving with the windows up -- However, with the nicer weather I like to open the sunroof and roll down all the windows but this creates road/ wind noise.  My system has a hard time keeping up/ and overpowering the wind/ road noise......  There are times I have trouble hearing the music over the wind noise.I have the gains set right on the amp but turning those up anymore just causes distortion at loud levels........

Suggestions?  Better speakers --- Better amp ---- ideas?  Anyone with a convertible have a system they can hear when driving with the top down?

thanks 

jugga-nemo 
    Copper - Posts: 81
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: April 27, 2006 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
    I built a system that I can hear over the road noise with my top down. I Dynamated the entire car (what I could). I wouldn't consider my system to be crazy powerful either. Just 85x4 RMS for the Infinity Kappa components and 170x2 RMS for the two eights that now occupy (replace) the back seat. I tried the trunk, but wasn't satisfied with the output, even with the top up.
    5.25" Components & 5x7 Coax Kappas w/Power Acoustik OV4-800
    KAC 7252 powering 2 D3 8" Diamonds
    KDC-MP728, KGC-4042A
    forbidden 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,352
    Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: April 27, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
    Bigger amp, get some more power happening there. I would also consider a titanium dome tweeter. MB Quart, Eclipse and Focal all have tweeters that can produce some real crisp and bright top end, the first sounds you lose when the windows go down. Find an amp that is going to give copious amounts of power, 130w rms or more for the front stage.
    Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
    arrow12 
    Silver - Posts: 527
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: April 27, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
    What's the power handling of those speakers?
    That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
    timmyjimmy5150 
    Member - Posts: 32
    Member spacespace
    Posted: April 27, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
    Rated at 275 watts -- the speakers
    dkautotrixx 
    Member - Posts: 3
    Member spacespace
    Posted: April 27, 2006 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

The bostons you have are nice but thay won't play clean and load at  the same time. What you need is some that will . I have been runing db Drive for over the last two year and thay do the job clean and load!!!!!!!!! 

D kosechata

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic