icon

Normal readings for AVIC Speed Pulse?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
inferno999 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
I've hooked up (what I think is) my VSS to my AVIC-Z1 and as far as I can tell, it seems to be working. Problem is I'n not sure what a normal reading from the Speed Pulse is.
The screen I'm talking about is in Settings, Hardware, Connections - The top line which reads "Speed Pulse" and the number next to it increas as I drive. I guess that's enough of an indicator that it's installed correctly, but judging how small the number is, I'm not so sure.
I *thought* this number would be something like pulses /second, or perhaps even speed. Unfortunately it's unlabeled and MUCH to small to be either of these. At a stop it reads zero, and at around 65 MPH it reads 7 or 8.
What units is this in? What's normal?
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
mine goes up to i think in the 900's
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
inferno999 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention...
The wire gives something like 4.8 volts at 0mph and drops to all srts of crazy voltagew while driving (1.5, 2.2, etc... it's all over the place, but in general it increases). It's the only wire on the CRU harness that seems to go up like that, so I assume it's it. Any thoughts?
inferno999 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I did some further testing...
It seems that the reason I'm getting funky voltages is because there is some sort of correlation with the tire-position. I'll read 4.9 volts, but then move a few inches forward and read 0. While I'm driving, it looks like my Multimeter gets confused with the fluctuating voltage and sort of shows an average.
So it looks like this is it. But is the wire I've been using and I only really go up to 8 or 9 in the Speed Pulse reading on the AVIC-z1 (as described in the first post). This can't be right.
What's going on?
And for what it's worth, Here are the wires I have in the CRU and their voltages at rest. Neither the plug nor socket were numbered, but most plugs seem to have pin 1 in the upper left if you're looking head-on with the clip at the top. Such is how I've numbered mine:
1 – blue/red     13.5v at rest     
2 – open          
3 – GREEN/ YELLOW     13.5 v at rest     
4 – open          
5 – BLACK/ green     0 v at rest     
6 – black     0 v at rest     
7 – RED / blue     0 v at rest     
8 – open     v at rest     
9 – RED / white     0 v at rest     
10 – lightGREEN/ black     0 v at rest     
11 – YELLOW /GREEN     0 v at rest     
12 – GREEN/ black     14.2 v at rest     
13 – BLACK / YELLOW     0 v at rest     
14 – blue/orange     0 v at rest     
15 – GREEN/ blue     0 v at rest     
16 – RED / yellow     0 v at rest     
17 – lightGREEN/ red     0 v at rest     
18 – BROWN / tan     0 or 4.9 v at rest, depending on wheel position     
19 – GREEN/ YELLOW     0 v at rest     
20 – WHITE/ black     0 v at rest     
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
you're looking at the calibration screen? or the connection screen?
one just lists each speed pulse at is happens, it eventually will be in the hundreds of thousands, the other is just a reference, it reads from 0-9
there's a tone that increases in pitch as you go faster as well, if that is working, your VSS is hooked up coorectly.
VSS is not really voltage, it's a square wave, and you can't really measure it accuratly with a mutlimeter.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
inferno999 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
"the other is just a reference, it reads from 0-9 "
Alright, THAT's what I needed to hear. Nowhere is this explained. I've found a few references like infinkc's that say it should be from 1,000 to 10,000. When mine said "8", well, I figured there was a problem.
As for "there's a tone that increases in pitch as you go faster as well, if that is working, your VSS is hooked up correctly" ... Unfortunately I don't get that tone. But since everything else looks normal, I'm guessing it was either taken out of the Z1 or it's too quiet. I'm confidant that it's working properly.
Thanks again!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic