icon

Alternator & Battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

I'm new at this, so sorry if this question is stupid, but I just found out the other day that my alternator is dying. I had my battery & alternator checked the other day at Autozone because lately my headlights and interior lights would blink everytime I tap or press my brakes. I was thinking it was a short, but I had my alt & batt. checked just to see. The guy told me the alt. is putting out 4 amps less than what it should.

Now here's my question. I'm purchasing a better alternator, that puts out twice the amps than a regular one (the guy at autozone told me it'd be good enough with the stuff I got hooked up in the car). If I get the bigger alternator, would that effect my battery, or would it be fine? The guy who did my test said nothing about the battery, so I assumed it was good. If anyone could help me out before I purchase it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
A larger alternator will not do anything to your battery except charge it faster.  If the battery was bad, I am sure the retailer would have taken the opportunity to sell you a new one.  :)  Be sure your car's electrical cabling can handle the increased current capacity of the HO alternator.  You may want to upgrade your big 3.
Support the12volt.com
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

'putting out 4 amps less than it should be'...

Personally, based strictly on that statement alone, this sounds like a load of BS to me. But that's just me. The symptoms described don't sound like an alternator putting out 4 amps less than ..max rated output?

Is he saying that a 100 amp alternator is bad if it's only putting out 96 amps?

Sounds like there's more to the story than what's mentioned; I'd be careful about making absolutely sure the alternator is bad.. if you'd like, post more information (year, make model - accessories) and we can try to help you more.

Jim

eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Well I don't know a lot about cars and car parts, but here lately I noticed everytime I press my brake the exterior and interior lights would blink, even the lights on my headunit. At first I thought I had a short some where, but I was also thinking maybe the battery or alt is dying. I noticed my headlights aren't as bright as they were a few months ago, and a few other things that made me believe it was something dying. I took it to Autozone and the old guy acted like he didn't want to do it, but that's what he's there for. When he tested it, he just told me that "the alternator is putting out 4 amps less than it should" and I then asked him how long does he think it'd last til it died, and he said it's basically dying now, and he doesn't think it'd last til this winter, he said "I doubt you'd get it started by this winter" and I just said "ok" and thanked him. He could be right, there's a few signs that makes it look like the alt. is dying, but I'm still thinking the whole blinking thing is a short some where. Does it sound like a short, or would a dying atl. make lights "blink" cause of low power? Or straining power?

But the car is a '97 Saturn SC1, and I never changed the alternator and battery since I had it, andI got it beginning of 2004, and it's hard to tell if the people who had before me changed anything.

Like I said, I don't know anything about this situation, any help and advice would be glady appreciated.

jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
my 2 cents my dad had the same problem with his 92 ranger and came to be that it started charging to high but... we started to check it the i think the diode started to go bad cause actually ur alt puts out ac current and the diode converts it to dc current so that may be the problem so in all actuality u would still need a new alt hope that helps u a little
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  
I was thinking along the same lines as Mad Scientists when I first read your post.  You should get to know a local car shop / mechanic, or until then get the car into a good shop for a lookover and testing.  Those symptoms can be checked with a meter and the help of the car's repair manual.  Could be just something as simple as moisture in the taillight lens or a variety of other things that is causing a short when the brake circuit is activated.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

Well I went ahead and bought the alternator anyways, it wouldn't hurt to get a better one. Once I get that installed and I still see my headlights not as bright, all the lights blinking when i tap my brake, my bass not as "loud/punchy" as before, and my idling back to normal then I'll get it checked some where else. I'm pretty sure my alt. is going bad anyways from all the signs, but the blinking lights still makes me believe it's a short, but I hope I'm wrong because I'd hate to take it a place and get it checked/fixed. I spent around $500 at the Saturn dealership last year to install a new tail light and a couple censors. But if it comes down to my only option I'll take it back there and let them check my grounds and stuff to see why my lights blink. I had a bad ground on my tail light last time, so maybe I have a bad ground some where else. And for what I meant by "idling back to normal" I noticed lately at stop lights my rpm stick is below 1, almost touching 0 and it feels and sounds like the car is gonna shut off. I just noticed all the signs these past few months, always a new sign every week. So who knows. Heh.

Thanks for all the help.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

" I noticed lately at stop lights my rpm stick is below 1, almost touching 0 and it feels and sounds like the car is gonna shut off. "

Do you have a monster stereo system in the vehicle, or a sub system of any kind? If so is this phenomenon that you mention (see your quote above) happening with say the volume cranked up on the stereo?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Can you just find a place to give you a second opinion on your alt? I guess it isn't necessary if you're gonna replace it anyway but, that's what I would do. It does sound like a weak alternator though
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

" I noticed lately at stop lights my rpm stick is below 1, almost touching 0 and it feels and sounds like the car is gonna shut off. "

Do you have a monster stereo system in the vehicle, or a sub system of any kind? If so is this phenomenon that you mention (see your quote above) happening with say the volume cranked up on the stereo?

I wouldn't call it a monster system, the only amp I have is a JBL GTO1201.1 and I have the volume around 18/40 on the hu because the hu is a cheap pioneer that doesn't give good sound. I wouldn't call it "blasting" but it's up high enough so I could hear the words.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic