icon

tweeters or no?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobby_7 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
alright, so i have a pair of 6.5" mtx coax's in my doors and then in my dash i have 2 3" speakers, which are just the stockers. well i have a really budget system, the only reason i have the mtx's is because they were practically given to me, and i have one mtx 6000 series 10" with 400 watts (gain all the way down, no bass boost, no clipping)in a box way too big, but im working on that. its not very loud at all. anyways, my stock 3" speakers in the dash suck now, i think the left one is blown, so i am looking to fix it. here are 3 options......
1. just unhook the stockers
2. replace the stockers with some cheaper 3" speakers
3. replace the stockers with some tweeters....now, i know people aren't fans of just adding tweeters, but i've gotta fix the problem somehow.
any opinions...?
i do not have a very loud system, it will get better once i put my sub in a properly sized box. my setup is geared more towards SQ. hopefully someday when i get outta this expensive college stuff, i can get a set of components, but for now, i am only wanting to spend around $30 on whatever i end up with, i dont need much right now. i have looked at some tang band tweeters, and i noticed there are bullet, horn, piezo and all those types of tweeters. i have read through some info on it, but if i were to get tweeters, which type would fit my setup the best? thanks
oh yea, these will not be amplified. just running off the HU
dfizzle 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 3:51 AM / IP Logged  
You're going to be hard pressed to do much of anything for $30, asside from just unhooking the 3in. speakers.  The other opion for those dash speaker systems is to solder a capacitor inline with the 3in speaker, efectively turning it into a sort of midrange tweeter and then run your standard coaxials in the doors.  Again though, you can't really do any of that for $30 since you said one of them is probably blown.  Check ebay or even a junk yard though to see if you can get just one speaker, that might come in under your budget.
bobby_7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
i dont need anything amazing, just something to do the job. i can get speakers on parts express for like $15, and that will work for me. i can also get any type of tweeters for about the same. i was leaning more towards the tweeter cuz i can get em cheaper and it would give me more highs which i could use, but i dont want them to stand out like no other either.
bobby_7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
i was lookin at this stuff.........
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-840
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=275-035
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-340
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-250
i am also a little leary of getting the 3 1/2"s because i am sure there is not much room in there, but i have never looked.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'd disconnect them.  You can always upgrade to components later, and install the tweeters in the dash locations, moving the coax's to the rear.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dfizzle 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have stock crossovers?  I've only dealt with in-dash speakers in a 98 Eclipse and we just switched those out with new 3.5's and put in a capacitor to cut out the lows.  If you went the tweeter route, you'd have to look into how to send only high frequencies to them or else they'd sound like crap.  I think the 3.5's in that last link would work out fine for you as long as they fit.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic