icon

band pass box plans?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
biker_boy6667 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I have 2 15" xtreme subwoofers from checker auto and i have them in a sealed box in the back of my 96 pontiac sunfire with a 1000watt pyramid amp hooked up to them.  would it make it louder if i put them in a band pass box in my trunk? If any one has any good plans to make a box could you please tell me the web site or let me see your plans for building a box.  or e-mail them to me.  my email is biker_boy6667@hotmail.com  thanks so much.
biker_boy6667
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
you could have a one note wonder system.
the problem with bandpass is volume needs to be much larger to hit the low freq's.. so to bandpass 2 15" subs you'd need one freaking big box.
also you narrow the band at which sound is produced.. and you get one note that will be obscenely loud.. hence the "one note wonder" that is also commonly what SPL is referred to as.
even going to a ported box you will increase the volume, my suggestion would be to look at the specs of the subs and go from there rebuilding the box based off the specs. not off wanting to build a certain "Type" of box
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
It will also make them sound worse probably.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
biker_boy6667 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

ok i found the specs on the subwoofers

• 1000 Watts Instantaneous Peak Power

• 2 1/2" ASV-Dual Voice Coil
• 87dB Sensitivity
• 4 OHM Impedance
• Quick Connect Terminals
• 67 Oz. Giga Magnet

would a ported box maybe be better than a sealed one?

biker_boy6667
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
With low-end subwoofers like that, the best bet is usually to use them as they come from the manufacturer.  But sure you can do anything you want with them; the likely outcome is they will sound worse and blow sooner, but they are cheap so go for it if you want.  By the way, the "specs" you posted are largely meaningless for designing an enclosure.
Support the12volt.com
biker_boy6667 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
ok thank you for your help it helped me out alot.!! ill just leave them the way they are so i dont end up blowing them.
biker_boy6667

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic