icon

insert trim panels

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samtucan11 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
I am still trying to figure out, the best way to attach a fiberglass trim/insert panel? If you do not want it perminently attached how do you attach it? Lets say i want to make a fiberglass panel over some batteries that i need to get to, to charge, i would make an insert panel right. But how can i attach it? I cannot use screws, because screw heads would ruin the whole look, i cannot use an epoxy because that would be perment, anyone have any suggestions on how to attach a removable fiberglass insert panel? i really appreciate it
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

velcro?

dome snaps?

are you wraping the panel in vinyl or carpet? if you make it a very snug fit so the wraping holds the panel on..a little bit of velcrow may help too..

also you couold go to a boneyard and pick up some spring clips off a door panel and attach them to the back of the panel...drill the right sized holes in the right places and you would be able to push the panels in..it will be tricky to get them back out if they are painted though and you dont want to risk the finish..

Fiberglass Guru.
samtucan11 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, it would be painted. I just need something that can be removed if needed. i will not be removing the insert panels often, only in cases where i need to access things behind them.

A good example of exactly what i am trying to do is the new Sinister 6 demo car by alpine. The car has insert panels all over the place. Some are permenently bonded on, others are removable to access the various wiring/controls behind them. My design is not as complicated as theirs, but it is the same exact idea. I just cannot figure out how to attach the insert panels while still making them removable.

What are dome snaps?

placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

i use serated panel clips and glass them to the trim/insert panel.  When u are finished the main piece all the way up to the primer stage, tape it off and make your trim piece (or however u wanna do it) then when u have about 2 layers cured remove the tape, place the panel back where its supposed to be, then drill through both the trim/insert as well as the panel you're attaching to (test various hole sizes by drilling into a scrap piece of fiberglass or thin hard plastic till u get the size u want...different hole sizes will make how easy or hard the panel is to remove).  Once the holes are drilled insert the serated panel fasteners and put 2-3 layers ontop of that, then do the bodywork and prime.  Keep in mind though how u want to remove it, u can either make recessed sections and use a plastic pry tool to pop out the insert or u can make it so u can reach from behind and pop the panel out...just make sure u have a way to remove it, lol.  Hope this helps.  I've also done a snug fit insert but not with fiberglass.

samtucan11 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, thanks so much, i really appreciate it. that is a good idea with the serated fasteners. But what is a snug fit insert??

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic