the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

multiple crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ty 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

Alright, I am running a kenwood kdc-x889 hu with 4 band crossover, a kicker kx 650.4 amplifier with HPF and LPF ranging from 50-200hz at 12db slope, and finally CDT EF-61cf components (last year model) with 4th order 2 way crossover at 3.7khz I believe, range on midrange is 60-20khz. 

So here is my question...will I just turn off all crossovers except the passive crossovers that came with the components?  And I know the crossover is at 3.7khz but does that mean that the mids will play from 60-3.7khz and the tweets will play from 3.7khz-20khz?  Sorry to ask such newbie questions but I have searched and still am confused.  Thanks.  

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

ty wrote:
And I know the crossover is at 3.7khz but does that mean that the mids will play from 60-3.7khz and the tweets will play from 3.7khz-20khz?    

Basically yes, that's what it means.

Your speakers say they are rated down to 60Hz, but this does not mean they will stop there OR that they are very efficient there.  They will try to play those low frequencies they just will not be able to do very much with them.  And if a small speaker is pushed too hard on the low end it can "bottom out" and be damaged or at the very least sound bad.  For this reason, I suggest you do this: turn off all crossovers in your head unit.  Activate the HPF (high-pass filter) on your amplifier and set it to approximately 60-70Hz.  Send this signal to the passive crossovers that control the speakers.

Are you using a subwoofer?

Support the12volt.com
ty 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
cool thanks dyohn, I will be using those tangband 6.5 subs in the rear of my car, I don't really want much bass coming out of the fronts then right?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, are you planning to power them off channels 3-4 of your amp?  If so, you'll want to set the front stage like I suggested and also turn on the LPF (low pass filter) on the channels for the TBs, and set it to about 100-120Hz.  This is the kind of setup that ended up sounding best in my car (using TBs in the rear doors.)
Support the12volt.com
ty 
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
yeah channels 3-4.  Cool I will give it a shot, thanks again Dyohn, I always appreciate your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic