icon

designing sub enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobilesndfx 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
I have 3 JL Audio 10w3v2-D4 subs. I want to mount them so that the front of the subs fire into the enclosure and the magnets are outside of the enclosure. My question is, Im designing a sealed enclosure, is it the same formula for box volume as if I were mounting them in the traditional method or is there a different formula?
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
It's the same formula, but there will be a little extra space.  This is do to the fact that you don't have a magnet and other structures in the box.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Having the magnets facing out will actually make the box fabrication easier. there is no need to calculate the volume that the motor assembly occupies. So the box will be more exact to the subs specs.
mobilesndfx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
I heard they need to be wired reverse polarity, whats your opinion?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

Not if all the subs are inverted.  You can reverse polarity to the set by switching + and - at the amp speaker terminals.  This is something everybody should experiment with when setting up a system, whether the subs are normal or inverted.  Choose the way which makes the subs louder and deeper.  Some amplifiers have a "180" switch for this very reason.

Only if you had a setup where two of the subs faced one way and one faced the other way would you need to do some special reverse wiring on the subs themselves.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mobilesndfx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Thats what I thought. I asked this same question in another forum and I got the response " you need to reverse polarity wire them so that the subs fire out of the box". That made no sense to me at all. Thanks, you gave me a good idea on facing 2 subs one direction and the third the other direction.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

Here's an example of one sub wired in reverse of the other two subs.  This example shows DVC subs, but the concept remains the same with SVCs.  It doesn't matter if one sub is inverted and the other two normal...or one normal and the other two inverted.  You would wire the set this way in either case, because you can always reverse polarity at the amp.  Always find the simplest way to wire the subs knowing you have that 'reverse at the amp' option.  This is series / parallel.  If these were DVC 4 ohm subs the net result would be 2.67 ohms.

designing sub enclosure? -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mobilesndfx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Great, thats exactly how Im going to run them. Whats the best way to seal plexi to MDF?
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

What is the purpose of the plexi?  if it's just a decorative covering, double stick tape, screws, or spray adhesive will do.  If it's structural IE, a window, screws every 2 inches + silicone caulking will do. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic