the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

general fun, best system you ever heard?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

this is jus for kicks with every1 please answer so every1 can read and give their opinions jus wanna see what every1 thoughts are and experiences have been

what is the single best system you have ever heard in your intire life that u all ways will never for get as a kid or recently that u try to get your system to be as good as but it never sounds like what u remember

i hope every1 enjoys this peice and a smile comes across while u are typing or reading please if u read this then reply to it

(oh this has nothing to do with system with 4 or more subs ok 3 or less)

93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
Weel, truth be known, my favorite ever was in my own car. 86 Civic with my "signature" Morel MW-162/Infinity ribbon combo in the front doors. I built the passives myself, they were bi-wired to a pair of Nakamichi 160W monoblocks. The subs were Infinity Pro 12's (model number I can't remember right now) in a 9 cu.ft. stuffed transmission line, tuned for 18Hz, damped with 300 pounds of sand. The head unit was a Nakamichi TD-1200 with a Pioneer CDX-1 (I think - it was the CD only in-dash unit... no volume, no nothin'), hangin' from the old rear-view mirror position... The sub amp was an old-school Precision Power 2100, bridged to 2 ohms. No signal processing except the tone controls in the deck, and a Nakamichi 2 way crossover, set at 50Hz... I like REAL subwoofers, emphasis on SUB!
Amazing sound quality, Female voices were like glass, they were so smooth... although in my (also "signature") manner, relatively low output... not loud at all. Certainly loud enough for me, but for the power? Not loud...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

Best system I've ever personally had a chance to hear was without doubt the main mixing room at Prince's Paisley Park studios in Minneapolis.  Westlake monitors driven by Krell Class A amps, capable of 130db with less than .01% THD in a custom room that was completely anechoic.  Clean.  Scary clean.  The THX mixing room at Skywalker Sound would be second best.

The best system in a person's home: a full Cabasse system HT: L/R: Their gigantic (600 lbs and over $100K each) fully powered speakers. Center: One of their concentric spheres (the Baltic II "Eyeball") flanked by 2 of their slightly smaller ($40,000/pair) bookshelves aimed at the center listening position. The 2 speakers are powered by a large Audio Valve amp. Sides, rear sides, and rear centers: Each is an Eyeball  plus a small Cabasse Thor sub. These are each powered by Krell amps. And last but not least the lowest octaves are taken care of by a pair (!) of Wlson X/S subwoofer systems. Big sound (and big money) to say the least!

Car audio?  Hmm, how about the Linn Chakra system available for the Aston Martin Vanquish?  Probably the cleanest, most detailed, best balanced system I've ever heard (better than any SQ comp car I've ever heard including mine) and a factory OEM system to boot.  I believe it's a $15K option.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Bringing out the home gear, are we? OK, then HERE is the best system I've ever heard, where price is no object:
A pair of Revel Salon Ultimas ($65K, the pair), driven by a pair of Halcro dm68's, the big brother to the dm58 Monoblock amplifiers (these were only $76K for the pair). Front end was the (sadly) now long defunct Accuphase CD transport with the (also discontinued) D/A converter, containing 8 (count 'em EIGHT) paralleled 24/192 converters! Spooky clean, and as dynamic as ANY system I have ever heard. Can you say ZZZEEEERRRROOOOOOOOO noise floor? Those amps are quieter in idle than other amps are when OFF! Nothing we threw at it was capable of even THINKING about strain... 'Course, at about 225K for the system, with wires and cables and all, I will never have anything like it.
Now, for a budget system? Something John Q could afford? Morel made a few years back "The Renaissance". A modified MW-164 woofer with an MDT-33 tweeter in an unstuffed transmission line... Thse things were scary dynamic for the size, and the price was only 1200 bux a pair! Yes, they made bass, too! Rated down to 25Hz, they were perfectly at home playing big stuff AND small stuff! Heard these in a demo room at the CES with a pair of (believe it or not) these. Phil Marchand is amazing, and his gear is spectacular for the money spent on it. I use his XM16 active crossover modules in my home system. Upgrade the op-amps, get the better resistors (he supplies 1%, already) and you WILL posess high-end gear without the pricetag! IMO, a perfect multimedia system, but then I love overkill!
Oh, and Tom Bohlender's $1,000,000 (yes... one MILLION DOLLAR) statement system. That was at the CES the following year, and it filled an auditorium. 12kW of Jeff Rowland amps (not included in the above price-tag!)... that was pretty good too... general fun, best system you ever heard? -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
The sound of absolutely nothing......priceless. After 20 years in the trenches, I appreciate quite times.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
Alma gates new bronco...if you havent seen it, check it out...Try SQ from hundreds of feet away!!!!
I will some more when I find the site
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jayson358 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
ok guys a little dreamy stuff there what about car audio products which has to be no newer than 5 yrs old and before amps head units and etc u know when manufactures only did say amps or hu stuff like that before they got into the whole broad of products
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
jayson358 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
oh yea thanx ffor all replies so far u vets lol id like to see some replies also from every1 else im jus tryin to make a post that every1 will enjoy to read and respond to ya know thanx again guys
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
duoproductionx 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
best setup i ever heard, the guy who runs Sound World, 4 solobarics
97 Monte Carlo
CDA-9885, PZI Crunch 5 channel,12in MB Quart Premium.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic