icon

1997 civic jl woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kaace 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  

i am getting my hands on 2 JL audio 8 inch woofers...should i face them in to the seat or into the trunk...i have a 1997 honda civic dx coupe...they are going to be powered by a punch 75...bridged...and what kind of box? i am thinking sealed...

"it was a rhetorical question...what have i told you about thinking"
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
dx as in the hatch back if so do u want loud bass (ported box) or tight bass (sealed box) then also 8's wont get the lower freq as 10's or 12's do so dont expect that kinda of bass if its a hatchback i have found the best sound from those is to make a box with the subs facing the rear glass cause the bass will reflect off of that and go straight into the front area hope that helps u some
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
we ran a pair of JL 10W0's for awhile, and had very very good luck with a 2.25 cu ft common chamber with a 4 in by 13 inch aero port.     We also did a slot port design that was tuned to about 34hz.....but sounded veyr very good, and played low and remained tight.
ours we in a 98 civic coupe
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Are they WOs or W3V2s?
There is no such thing as free installation!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Jayson358, here is a correction for you to remember. A speaker like an 8" or even a 4" can and will play the same low frequency as a 15" or 12" can. Generally speaking though, the smaller drivers cannot produce this frequency with the same amplitude. Now, depending on the size and make of the speaker (example is the Binford model 10" exteme hex coil spider ripper surround tearer xmamax69 subwoofer), they may even be able to do it with the same amplitude as a 15" or 12" can. It is all about the mechanical ability of the subwoofer used and the box it is mounted in for the driver to play a low bass note with amplitude, even a 8" like posted above.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kaace 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

my car is the DX coupe not a hatchback...i was an installer once upon a time ago..so i understand alot of the subwoofer box building basics...i am going to build the box against the back seat so i can put my golf clubs back there with no problems...i also thought about putting each 8 in a small box and mounting them in place of the rear 6x9s...i know the 8s wont get after it like a 12...i want tight punchy solid bass...

"it was a rhetorical question...what have i told you about thinking"
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Again, are they 8" WOs or 8" W3V2s? Differant boxes and differant hookups. Also what is the ohm rating on the speakers?
There is no such thing as free installation!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic