the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running speaker wire to door speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sab0276 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I am planning on mounting my amps under the rear seat of my Yukon. The front and rear speakers are in the doors of the truck though.
Is there any tricks or tips to running speaker wire to door panels, or do you just re-use part of the stock speaker wires? Any suggestions?
-Scott
2002 GMC Yukon SLT non-Bose
Pioneer AVIC N3
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
You can string new wire but it would be a major pain. The only time I string new wire is if the car is older or if the customer has to have new wire ran and they are payin'. Factory wiring will handleit,  I would use it.
sab0276 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

So do I just run speaker wire from the amp down to the kick panel and splice it in there?

Thanks.

-Scott

Pioneer AVIC N3
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
It might be easier to grab it right behind the radio, thats usually were I connect it up.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Unless the vehicle has a factory amplified system, then it is best to go to the speakers. It is not that difficult to go to the door speakers which is the proper way to do it. You run less wire with less connections this way. Zero chance of running into a factory amplified line as well. While it takes longer, this is the way to do it properly. Can it be done as suggested, yes, most definitely it can.Some vehicles do not lend themselves to big extra bundles of wire in behind them either. Take for example the GM pickup and fussy cusomer I had here yesterday.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
xtremej 
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

Its a non-bose system and there is a lot of room behind the radio in the dash on this one. Some vehicles are nearly impossible to string through the door boot. This was suggested because it a much simpler way for a diy'er. I see what your saying Rob I agree that it would be the most professional way to wire an amp to door speakers. In my defense, I try to avoid popping door panels off unless its necessary. 

sab0276 
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure if there is an amp or not on my system.  It's hard to believe they run 9 speakers, including a subwoofer off of the head unit though.  

Thanks for all of the input.

-Scott

Pioneer AVIC N3
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Your amp is behind the glove box.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Please running wire to the doors isn't that hard. Take a house zip tie(Its a huge zip tie atleast a foot long) cut the end of into a point, drill some holes to help hold the wires on, us tape to secure them more. And viola a snake. Just run it in small stages and its cake.
otto34 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
If it helps the few cars I have ran wire through the doors be it speakers or poppers ect. just be carefull and take off the rubber boot from the door jam to the door. Then all you have to do is push it through the boot and snap the boot back in the jam and your done.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic