icon

Kenwood 9152d amp and CVR12's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blk04civiclx 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  

Hello, I just did an install of these in my car... So i hooked everything up and tested it out and everything was running great.  couple minutes later it stops running.. So i go operate on the thing and find out that my 80amp Agu fuse was blown... but it didnt even look blown. I had to test my power wire with a volt meter many times to find out it was the fuse.. anyways.. i got a 50amp agu fuse in there as of right now because i dont have ne other fuses.. Can Anyone tell me why it blew? and what i can do to prevent it from happening again?? 

By the way, I am running the subs supposedly @ 500rms @ 4ohms in Series/parrallel and have 4 ga power and ground.  Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help .

m.
tritippin24s 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
I would assume that a hot wire hit metal at some point in the install and weakened the fuse, at the least.
To prevent this from happening again,
1. Make sure your amp is isolated from any metal objects, wires, or any bare metal areas of your car.
2. Make sure your connections to the amp are not touching, even a single strand of wire.
3. Put another fuse on, you never can be too safe.
blk04civiclx 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah , that could've been what had happened. 

The reason I agree is because I was testing it out and hadn't bolted the amp down and it  was loose to roll around in my trunk.. Now everything is bolted and it is running good with a 50 amp agu fuse. 

I was wondering .. my amp is rated at 900rms@1ohm , and my combined 12's are 800rms..  Do you think it  Will it be too much power for my subs?

m.
tritippin24s 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
First off, amps are generally rated under, i.e. my mtx 3202 is rated for 320, but really puts out 342.
Second, your subs are 50-400 RMS a piece if you don't want distortion.
So i would say that it should be okay, although it will sound better if you drop your amp to about 780 or so.
You should probably get a second opinion, unless you want to listen to a 15 year old with an L5 on the back of a granny bike......... i do know alot though as i have a little shop in my garage.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

Are these subs dvc's? If they are dvc's and each is 4ohm then wire them down to a 2 ohm load on the amp, this should drop the power down a little. Make sure the gains are set properly and they should last.

As far as amps being under rated, Thats 50% right and 50% wrong. It all depends on which brand you choose, most lower end amps are greatly over-rated.

blk04civiclx 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Yes they are DVCs and they are 4ohm DVCs.. to my knowledge and according to this site.. I could only find 2 ways to hook them up.. that is to a 1ohm load and a 4 ohm load... even so, if i were to be able to hook them up to a 2 ohm load it would still put out 900rms.. so i dont know what i should do..  i guess i can keep it at 4ohm load.. although i want it to be louder..

m.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
You'll be fine wiring it up at 1 ohm. Just make sure your gains, bass boost, and low pass are set correct and you won't have a problem.
Main way that amp can blow those subs is if you have your settings too high. Just because its rated at 900 rms at 1 ohm doesn't mean that it'll put out that much power all the time at 1 ohm.
SETTINGS SETTINGS SETTINGS
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
If the fuse didn't look blown then it was broken.  Doesn't indicate a short condition, just a bad part.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic