icon

Custom FG/MDF center console

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
junior40er 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
so me and my budy are planning to make a custom center console on his 2005 silverado full size. its gonna have a built in TV DVD player and wanna have a spot for the CB and scanner. But does anyone have pics of how to start off or how to start making a mold/skeleton or something? Thanks in advance.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have pictures, but it's pretty simple.   Start off with removing the origional console.  Screw strips  of 1/4" mdf to the factory bolt locations.  Build your frame off of that using MDF and dowel rods, then take it out to glass it.  Is there anything there right now, like the shifter, or a switch panel or something?
MrSuperStar 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Read this thread, I don't remember if he uses much fiberglass but you can incorporate it easily.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=62553
junior40er 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
its good info but we already have something similiar. we want to practice on making one out of glass and have a NON-fiberglass texture since we dont want it to stick out in comparison with the texture of the dash and panels.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
I would like save a good number of words and just give you this link for a good learning reference.  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=62553&KW=tcalyen  This seems to be in the best interest for the nature of your build-up.
slowfire01 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
good reference!!!!!!
intersts provoke installs
junior40er 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  
nice. Yeah. I gues I can use some of that info even though it's not really much fiberglass. Thanks. But anyone know how to get an OEM texture so it wont be to far off from the plastic texture??
sethsyd 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
You can spray it with a texture spray and then paint it.  Just practice spraying it on a test piece to get the right amount of texture for the match.
junior40er 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
oh thanks yeah I tought I heard about that. I'll stop by a store and check em out. Maybe kragen willhave them??
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah you probably already have found that 3M has texture spray.  It runs for the average of $12 per spray can.  Its not too hard to use.  Even though the finish is to be textured, it requires a good smooth surface to get a factory effect, and is possible with practice even for a beginner. 

Side Note:  I bought the 5 pack DVD set from www.caradiohelp.com for a younger family member.  I ended up watching it with him for the most part.  Found some interesting things, but it seem purposly basic enough the beginner.  Im mentioning this because one of the DVDs show technique, prep, and finish using texture spray on a door panel speaker pod fabrication.  You can buy just one DVD, any you want.  The one Im giving reference to is "Fiberglassing II".

*Its not my intention to promote another site on a different, possibly a competitive site.  But it is definately my intention to promote information that is related as helpful to our world of fabrication. For beginners, its either going to scare you away from fabrication, or give you the "Fabrication Virus" which seems to be getting more and more contagious lately.  For the intermediate fabricator, it has enough info to cross some extra wires inside your head that may cause excessive brainstorms!!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic