icon

multiple runs of wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wrathchild281 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, currently i have 0 gage running from my battery to a distribution block and 4 gauge running to two jbl 1200.1 amps and a memphis mids and highs amp. I am about to add another of the jbl 1200.1's and was going to run another run of 0 gauge, how would i go about doing that? On each side of my distribution block has 2 holes for 0 ga. and 6 for 4 gauge, would i just do another run of 0 ga. from my battery to the other hole in my distribution block and then 4 ga. to my amp? thanks for help guys.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  

First determine if you need to add another 1/0 ga power wire.  Does the addition of the new amp cause the overall sound system demand to exceed the 350 amp rating of a single 1/0 ga wire?  And you might not even count total fuse value for this if you are not running these amps at maximum load.  If you are still under 350 amps of actual use with the additional amplifier, you should be able to just add another 4 ga output wire to the distro block.

Otherwise, yes, the distro block sounds like it accepts two inputs.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
we have had to do this all the time...haha     but when you are demanding 400+ amps of current then you need it....I would go with steves suggestion and decide if you need it.   But if you decided to it is a nice benifit to have extra room for later!
We ran 4 runs of 1/0 in our car for world finals last year, in meghans class she was only allowed 1 battery in factory location...so having the lowest resistance possible is a big factor
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
wrathchild281 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ya im drawing like a max of 400 amps but honestly my amps are not being run at maximum load as of yet.  So when i decide to do another run i would just run it from the the same battery under the hood and straight to the same distrubution block? Is it better having it run to a saperate block that goes from 0 to 4 and to my amp? thanks.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
we use step downs...they have a 4 guage metal end to them with a 1/0 input.    also known as wire reducers
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic