icon

More Amps Needed for Motorcycle System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jweb 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

I think I have a new one for you guys...I'm upgrading the amplifier on my motorcycle and need more amps to drive it. Are there any options available other than adding a capacitor?  I briefly read something about adding a motorcycle battery to a car system but, was wondering if anyone here had anything to say about what would work in this type of installation.  Thanks,  Joe

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
ah, and by amps you mean that you need more power?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of bike?  There are HO alternators available for touring bikes like Goldwings...
Support the12volt.com
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
I bet thats going to be one rockin bike.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
Jweb 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't get any info on my earlier post so I bought a 1.2 Farad capacitor. The instructions are poorly interpreted and I need to know the proper way to hook it up. As I understand it, the cap is supposed to be wired parallel and I wanted to confirm that I can just run a + and - wire from the capacitor to the same terminals on the amp. And I did figure out how to charge/discharge it.  Thanks for any help.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
The cap was a waste of time... If you can return it, do so, and buy the alternator/battery combo linked by DYohn (if your bike happens to be a Wing or HD, you can go there)
The cap will NOT fix your problem...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Jweb 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

I beg to disagree...installed yesterday with existing amp (waiting on parts for new amp) and after using this amp since 1997, there is definitely a difference in overall punch. Almost like the gain was turned up without distortion.  And BTW, it is a Goldwing and I already upgraded the Alternator and gel battery.

I do have another question if anyone has any input...I originally wired this bike with a ATC fuse bus that is powered by 10 ga wire that is only 20" from the battery. I then ran power to the amp from there through one of the terminals with a 20 amp fuse using 10ga. Before installing the new, more powerful amp, wouldn't it be better to run a separate fused 8 or 10ga directly from the battery?   Thanks all...if anyone is still reading this thread.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic