icon

hardwiring sirius radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
church_of_bass 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
hey gang, i'm needing a little help hardwiring my brother's sirus sporstster plug-n-play unit into the vehicle.  I've hidden all the wires, and i've hardwired into the deck, but what i wanted to do is hardwire into the power system with the cigarette lighter cord.  I was going to tap right into the cigarette lighter power and ground.  My question is, after cutting the lighter adaptor off, how do i determine power and ground on the lighter adaptor wire?  Thanks in advance!!
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
the center pole popping out of the cig adapter is positive, and the pieces around them are the ground. Hope this helps?
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure that the cig. lighter plug is not also a voltage step down. A lot of these Sat. radio tuners run on 6 or 9 volts. It should say in the owners manual or on the plug itself.
There is no such thing as free installation!
church_of_bass 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

excellent.  Thanks for the help guys, goin to do it right now.

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
yes, that reminds me, I needed to purchase a female cig adapter, and hardwire that inside the console, and wire my mothers XM into that because the default plug is adapted to 6 volt, and that way it can all be removed also. good luck :)
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Most Sirius radios are 12v so the end does not need to stay on. It will say on the unit what the voltage input is, also in all of the Sirius units that I have worked with the positive wire is the one with the white line on it
rallysport 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

ferretvw wrote:
Most Sirius radios are 12v so the end does not need to stay on. It will say on the unit what the voltage input is, also in all of the Sirius units that I have worked with the positive wire is the one with the white line on it

i was going to say the same thing, ive found the white stripe as positvie always

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic