icon

starter issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rock1 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Why would the starter not crank the car unless you turn the key more then once for it to crank. all I hear when I turn the key is a clank noise. the start grabs the flywheel to turn but it does not have it seems like the correct voltage to turn it. which starter wire could be the problem.
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Think it might be a soleniod problem or even a worn starter cog, it might not be meshing correctly. This would explain why its not cranking the first time.  Failing that it might be a poor connection from the battery to starter or an earth issue, go through each and check and your problem will reveal itself.
WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
rock1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
this is a new starter the old starter did the same thing. it is grabing the flywheel correctly cause its not making that high pitch screech sound. its like the starter grabs the flywheel but does not have power to turn it so that sound I hear is the start grabing it but not turning.The starter wire to the battery was cleaned but still same issue. should I replace this wire? what about regounding the starter negative wire to a differt part of the metal?
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
 I think mad550 is on the right track about it being your soleniod .
rock1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
The new starter is doing the same thing as the one starter so how can it be the starter?
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Read my post!!! I said your solenoid not your starter. These are two different items. Also it could poss be your ignition switch that is going bad. BTW what is the year, make & model of your car?
rock1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
what is the solenoid? is that in the starter? if it is I got a new starter even the old one did the same problem. the ignition switch was swap out to see what happens and same issue.
scout238 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have the same issue on my 97 Saturn SL1. Remote start works fine 100% of the time. When I try and start it with the key... I'm lucky if it cranks on the first turn. I repeat several times and it starts right up. The only sound I hear is a "clank", once per turning the key.

The alarm is a Viper 791xv. The thing works great and this is the only issue. I have a new starter, soleniod, and ignition switch. I probed the starter wire after the built-in starter kill, and it was only at 9 volts. I thought it was bad wiring... Re-did it... same problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nathan

rock1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
What could the problem be?
scout238 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.... Like some possibilities of why only 9 volts?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic