icon

Seperate Subwoofer Control

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
izzy80 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all... Im new to wiring car stereos and whatnot, so this may sound like a rediculous noob question, but any help would greatly help. I had a nice pioneer radio installed in my car that had seperate subwoofer controls, so I could lower and raise the bass on the subs without lowering or raising the bass from the inside speakers of my car. That radio was stolen and my new radio doesn't have that type of option. So now when I put the bass up on the radio, the inside speakrs sound like they're going to bust and I can barely get any bass from the subs.   Is there anyway around this, where I can regain seperate control of the subs and not blow out my inside speakers? Thanks for any help....
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
can you be more specific please as to which radios you had/have?
the odds are i would think that the Pioneer had a higher PreOut Voltage therefore the gain on your amp is set incorrectly now because of a lesser quality headunit.
Sorry to hear about the theft and welcome to the12volt.
EDIT: please do not go outside and turn up the gain without reading here first or asking. you can/will cause damage to the subwoofers if you do this
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
izzy80 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME!
WEll, i dont remember the exact model of the old pioneer radio, but the new one is a Innovatek DVD-990. Its one of the new radios with a 3.5' lcd display . Here are the specs :-CAR In-dash DVD with 3.5" Wide TFT Colour LCD Screen
-DVD/DVD-R/MP3/MP4/VCD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
-MMC/SD/USB Card Reader
-TV Tuner Receiver
-Electronic Anti-Shock
-NTSC/PAL Compatible
-2 Pairs RCA Output
-Repeat/Program/Random/Intro Play
-AM/FM/MPX Stereo Receiver
-30 Preset Stations
-Auto Memory Store/Preset Scan
-Preset EQ (Pop/Rock/Classic)
-4X60 W Max. High Power Output
-RDS-EON Function
-Electronic Audio Control
-Subwoofer Output
-Picture Control: Brightness/Contrast/Colour/Tint/Reflection Size
-Card Size Full Function Remote Control
-Rear Monitor Video Output
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
you can do a few things. my thoughts are your pioneer had 4 volt preamp outputs. your new H/U must have 2 volt preouts. step #1 set your gain correctly. #2 you can get more preout power with a crossover. # 3 you want seperate sub control you can get a amp with a remote gain. also asking ?'s is a good thing. breaking amps is the stupid thing.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
check this out somthing like this might help you out www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/4751 this is just an example. this would give you more preout power , some sub control,and possably beter SQ depending on what you have for gear.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
Another option for ya if your just looking for something to control the sub is the pac Lc-1. It is an remote level control that mounts inline with your amplifiers rca you have about 8db + or -.   First hing you should do though is read up on how to set your gains properly, then look into ways to control it. Hope this helps...
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
BlownTweeters wrote:
you can do a few things. my thoughts are your pioneer had 4 volt preamp outputs. your new H/U must have 2 volt preouts.
pretty much what i was thinking
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic