icon

1 amp per sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loudazzjeep07 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

I am looking at putting in two 12" Alpine Type-R's in (4 Ohm, DVC).  I was wondering if I would benefit from wiring one amp per woofer as to just using one for both of them.  I was looking at using something such as the Alpine MRP-M450 (250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms or400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms).  (Or even upgrade to the MRP-M650), if i were to use one amp per woofer.  Thanks for your input!!!

Jeep + woofers = LOUD AS HELL
integratyper934 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
i would just use one amp if i were you just step it up to the mrp-m650 it should be plenty of power. if u use 2 amps then you have to adjust the gains equal and just creates more work in the install and costs you more money  plus space in your car.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

Correct info. You also double up the amount of wiring used, current drawn, heat output and major issues with matching gains from one amp to the other. Use one single large amp for the job.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged  

I can think of several ways you could benefit, but I agree with the above as sheer simplicity goes.  You could be in a situation where:

• you want to consider the load.  Using two mono amps would put a nice 2 ohm load onto each one. 
  • you might want the look of a multi-amp system.
  • you could install a switch on one of the remote wires so that on some days...or before you pull into your parent's driveway....you could switch one of the amp/subs off and just use one.
  • you might not particularly want to run an amp at it's max 1 ohm rating
  • you might find the price of two amps considerably less than one amp that is four times more powerful (in order to run a 4 ohm load onto it for the same power).

I see more of a benefit in using two separate mono amps for subs than one two-channel amp, as far as power-draw vs. power-produced goes.  So I would look more toward using two class D amps with two DVC 4 subs than one larger class A/B amp.  When you set the gain for each amp correctly as you need to, the amps don't have to "match" each other, so I don't see how that has anything to do with it.  Every gain has to be set using the same procedure anyway whether it's one gain on each mono amp or two gains on a two-channel amp or one gain on a larger amp.  Any and all are set to the head unit output.

You can see that there can be benefits and problems in either way you do it.  Problems can be overcome with a good installation, though.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djlayz 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
I have 2 10" type r's each running off there own amp (mrd-501d) and it sounds really good. i suggest you go with 2 amps, if you can afford it.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

If your going for looks get 2 amps and spend the money to install them properly. If space is a concern use 1 amp with more power. You may get 2 smaller amps cheaper but it will equal out in cost of installation to 1 bigger amp. IMO get 1 amp with enough power to pushem'.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic