icon

Amps on boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  
I had a question, was looking around and reminded me that I have always been curious about this.  Is it ok to put amps on your sub box??  I have heard from people the amp actually gets vibrated and things happening inside the amp causing fires and amp damages and things.  I dont know if this is fact or fiction, was just curious if anyone wants to throw in their $0.02.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 5:25 AM / IP Logged  
Well you will have some that say not to. Some will say go ahead. I have done it alot, and so far no problems. As always your results may very.
Big Dave
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  

I never seen or heard a problem with doing this. It does look kinda tacky IMHO though. Just make the amp has enough space to cool.

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Some say the vibrations from the subs will shake an amp apart. I haven't had a problem although I only mount them on the box by request, looks a little hokey.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
some say that it can damage the Amp by vibrations and some say not, also they say it doesn't damage the Amp by vibration but it does if the box flex, assuming you have a thin box material.
Shaking The Neighborhood
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
And some of us have destroyed amps not even mounted to the box, cough XTANT cough. In all my years I have not had one amp damaged from mounting on a box.  If the vibrtation is going to cause the box to flex, then it would need to bend the aluminum in the amps heatsink first as that is what the circuit board is bolted to.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
interesting, sorry for late reply I forgot about this post haha.  Well sounds good then, cause I had a request to mount to the box, but ended up not fitting in the trunk with it mounted on top, because that is where the guy wanted it.  Ended up taking apart basically the whole back half of the car to get to the rear panel where speakers are mounted.  Ended up mouting the amp upside down with screws and bolts at his request, because he doesnt have an alarm.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

Just a thought for amps are made for the heat to rise to the heat sink and cool it down. If its inverted the amp will not cool properly could result in a early amplifier death.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

... and FYI upside-down mounting will void the warranty on some amps.  While I usually recommend against mounting the amp to the enclosure, if the enclosure vibrates enough to shake a component loose from an amp's main board then the enclosure is not very well constructed or the amp is really cheap.  One other thing to consider: an amp mounted to the enclosure means a thief only has to pull out the enclosure to get the amp too.

Support the12volt.com
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
they void warranty on amps mounted upside down!?? Crap now I need to take a look at the Alpine warranty thx DYohn.  Well thx for that info xtremej now I know better on that too.  Well the customer wanted it like this, so I mean I could tell him to move it but in the end it is his car, his amp, his decision.  But thx for filling me in, nice to know those pieces of info.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic