8 gauge amp kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

xtremej wrote:
Not really. In my findings they are on the low end side. There are fuses in the side of the amp total up the amperage of them and multiply by 13.8. This will give you the max rms its possible to pull in a perfect world.

ok if that is true, I have a Power Acoustik LT980/2, and it has four 25 amp fuses, which would be 100 amps correct?  If that is so then that would mean that the RMS would be rated at 1380 and the amp is max rated at 980!?!??  Am I missing something, lol I feel dumb now haha.

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  

By adding up the fuse amperages and multiplying x 13.8 is only used to determine what an map could possibly produce, not what it exactly puts out. It just a rough way to bring some of the overated equipment down to earth for some customers. For instance I had a young cat come in wanting 2/0 gauge strung for his 2000 watt audiobahn amp. It sounded fishy so he brought the amp in prior to his appointment, it ony had 2- 30 amp fuses in the side, I know there is sometimes more fuses inside an amp but not on this one. This is my reasoning for using that equation.

longhorn450 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Crutchfield told me that I'm hoing to need a capacitor as well.  Will I need one?
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
lol, crutchfield... haha
no, you wont need a cap.. and if you do need a cap you had better start investing in a rewound alternator.
do a search either here or around the net about using capacitors in car audio.
you'll be fine without one, especially if your running 4awg
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

Caps are cool looking some have leds that light up and voltage displays, but thats about it unless you have the charging system to use them. A higher amperage alternator and a good battery you should be ok.  And a good ground.. I would read through some of the "sticky topics" in this forum, they will help you on your install and future upgrades. Oh and I wasn't rippin' on audiopipe, audiobahn, p.a. or anything its just that is on the other half of the spectrum, I see many people trying to save a buck and end up gettin' burned in the long run. Hope it all works out for ya.

longhorn450 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I ordered the more expensive KnuKonceptz 4 gauge wiring kit, so hopefully that will be good.  And maybe I'll get it by saturdy to start the install.  Thanks for all of your help guys!!
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
good choice, i'll join you in installing saturday, cept i;ll be doing an Amp under the seat, and a new CD Player.
KnuKonceptz are good people, and they answered the phone on one Ring.
Good luck and good buying
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic