icon

Power Supply???

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Weekender 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

Any information wil help me out  alot     I have   A 2002 Nissan Sentra Spec V With audio fanatic package  Rockfordfosgate 300 watt amp nissan clarion 35 watts rms 50 peak  6 3/4 fron speakers wiht pillar mounted tweeters  the rear deck has 6 3/4 coaxial's  witha 8 inch sub in the rear with seprate enclosure (all factory) I noticed the other day that the rear sud and deck are wired together meaning the sub is pulling power from teh rear deck with every bass note causing unwanted distortion. the power wires are extremely smal in gauge probably like 12- 16 gauge  can i add a capicator to add in power supply to the speakers during heavy bass use or should i do something else  I would really like to keep the stock setup since it does sound pretty good . other than for the high volume bas hits.

thank you for any help you guys can provide me.

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

no you cannot add a cap, if you did that, you would be adding a filter to the speaker, which would filter out bass, or act as a "high pass filter".  However, during heavy bass, if you are experiencing problems with bass distortion from factory, and you want to try something, you could make  a band pass filter that would cut out the really low "deep bass" notes.  This would allow you to eliminate the unwanted distortion caused by the lower frequency.  I have never done this on factory stuff, most factory stuff is cheaply built, and nothing like aftermarket.  Ideally, I would replace the 8" sub with a after market 8, or even a 10 and get its own amp, but that is just me :).    You may try the filter, I would design it from a range of 20hz - 120hz or so.....the rockford amp probably has a built in lowpass fitler that is filtering out the higher notes, but I do not know that much about it.

Craig

Weekender 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
I'm Sorry I should have been more specific about my sub distortion teh rear deck and the sub run on the same ch  the rear left and right are combined somehow to supply power to the 8 inch sub the sub enclosure already has high and mid filter put in. what i'm experinecing is power being taken away from the rear deck seakers and the sub  checked that by unplugging the  sub and the system sounded clearer at higher volumes but no had no lows to making the tweeters really shine.  But what my question wa would  FARAD power cap give my amp a littel more power when needed to feed that power hungry sub. i tested the voltage with my dmm and when the system was active at normal conversation with passenger volumes it was pulling anywehre between 12-12.9 volts but with the volume turn up to drown out all other nosie it was pulling aanywhere between 12.9 to 14.2 or more i don't remember  but from whenever i install aftermarket setups i always put ina few caps no matter how low wattage they are just to get cleaner more accurate base for when woofers demand the extra current. so my question is would  cap 1/4 1/2 3/4 or 1 farad even. help a litle with get a slightly better bas not from a stock system .
crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

I doubt you are pulling enough current to require a 1farad, but a 1/4 or 1/2 would probably suffice, it would absolutley help in line regulation, you can give it a try.  I think a 1 farad would be REAL over kill, I really would need to know the current through the line to be able to hand calculate it.  If your current draw isn't very much at all you may be able to regulate it with something that is in the milli farad range, but I don't know what your experiencing....i think 1/4 would do fine just from what you have explained...it can't hurt! only help

Craig

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic