icon

Box Building?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

I want to expand my knowlege of car audio some, so I'm going to try and build my first box. I have a prefab box right now and I want to make a better box for better sound. Anyways, I have a couple questions I'd like to ask before I go buying and cutting up wood. I plan on getting a couple sheets of 3/4 MDF, wood glue, screws, clamps, and carpet. Are there anything else that I need?

Another question is, I want to get the right air space that the subs recomend.

Mounting Depth    6 3/16, 15.7
4.6ft3

How do I measure the 4.6ft3? From the back of the magnet to the back of the box, or front of the box to the back? Or am I way off? If anyone could explain how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Also forgot to mention it's going to be a sealed box.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
First mounting depth has nothing to do with internal volume.
What I do is just experiment with height width and length numbers. Muliply those three and divide by 1728 which is one cubic foot and you'll get the internal volume. Make sure that the measurements are internal lengths and not the outside measurements or else you'll think that the box is bigger than you think.
What kind of subs are they?Specs?
4.6ft^3 is a hella big SEALED enclosure.
Good choice on sealed for first time too. It'll allow a larger margin of error for you.
Anyone else please add because I know I left some other things out.
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2006 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

pair of 12" Kicker CVR's

zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  

What I would suggest is finding out what dimension(s) are constrained, that is, it has to be a under a certain size or would be aesthetically pleasing.  Once you find that out you can use that info. with your needed specs to design the rest of the box.

For example: you only can have a 20" tall box and 30" wide, using this with 3/4 mdf your internal dimensions are 18.5x28.5(subtracting 1.5" for the width of the wood on both sides).  Taking 4.6 ft^3 times 1728 to give in^3 you get 7949 in^3 for internal volume.  Take this number and divide by your constrained dimensions: 7949 / (18.5x28.5) and you're left with you're one remaining internal dimension of 15" and add 1.5" for the thickness of the wood and you get a box of 20"x30"x16.5.  No problem.  It might not be a bad idea to put in a divider.  Also make sure you take into account the displacement of the driver and any bracing used.  Good luck and hope this makes sense, i think it's bed time.Box Building? -- posted image.

boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

I actually have a box that I used with 2 CVRs thats ported that really pounded. I built the box a while back and now its just sitting in my basement. Its fully carpeted and looks pretty nice. I'd be willing to sell it to you for 50 bucks plus you'd have to pay shipping.

Heres a pic of it with my subs in it a while back...

Box Building? -- posted image.

If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
I'm also looking to sell the 2 grills if your interested. My email is boug0752@kettering.edu
If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
jt824 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

Quality boxes is very important....

eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
I might be interested in that box. give me a few days and i'll send a pm of some questions.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic