icon

Air horns, wiring is confusing!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
huffychuffy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hi- this is my first post here so forgive me for my stupidity! I bought some air horns, pretty basic(!) and have managed to confuse myself as to what I'm doing wrong so I'll list the probs and if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong I'd be grateful....The instructions are naff for them

1/ physical installation went fine...

2/the instructions have 2 diagrams- one refers to "switch connected to positive" the other to "switch connected to negative/earth".

The van is a Vauxhall Combo and I don't know what the difference is supposed to be? Can either be used?

The +ve diagram- indicates a +ve supply through the switch, then that goes through the relay and is earthed/grounded(see 3 about this too...) Could this +ve supply be a direct wire from the battery(a wire with no fuse going through the switch then relay?Is that well dodgy?) or "piggybacked" off another +ve wire?

The -ve diagram- this looks like a grounded wire passing through the switch and out the other side then through the relay where it is grounded again- after reading the relay tutorial I can't see where any power for working the relay could come from if the system is all negative?!

I can see the logic in the continuity for the +ve but in a nutshell where would the wires come from and all be connected?!

3/ where indicated that there is an earth/grounding (presumably through the chassis)can a wire be run instead direct to the negative terminal- such as from the relay and the negative terminal on the compressor? It's easier due to the proximity of the set up to the battery? Or is this a complete no-no?

my head hurts....

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
If you are mounting the Air Horns to Metal ( GROUND ) then I would go for the POSITIVE wiring and use a Relay.
If you are using a Switch:
1.Ground the Air Horns
2.Ground 1 side of the Switch
3.wire Relay:
PIN 87 = Constant 12 volt ( + )
PIN 87a = XX
PIN 30 = AIR HORN
PIN 85 = Negative from Switch for Air Horn
PIN 86 = Constant 12 volt ( + )
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
huffychuffy 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for replying Mo but this is even less clear to me! Taking the relay as an electromagnetic switch there should only really be two circuits on this...On my diagram these seem to be

1 -CIRCUIT TO POWER HORN- +ve battery>Fused relay 30>87(when on, 87a when off)>+ve compressor >grounded -ve

2 - CIRCUIT TO TRIGGER/SWITCH RELAY-  +ve supply(what,where from?)>switch in>switch out>86>85>grounded -ve

again the principal problems are:

1/where I get the +ve supply for the switch, can I take a supply off the +ve supply to the cigarette lighter as it's close, or a wire from the battery +ve with a fuse to the switch?

2/can the relay and compressor groundings be wires fixed to the -ve terminal of the battery, or is it better to ground them to the chassis with self  tappers?!

I tried the with the grounding/earths for the relay and compressor to the -ve terminal on the battery, and the "30 from the relay" wire and one side of the switch(unfused, what should be the +ve) to the +ve terminal on the battery and it blew a 15a, then 20a fuse after briefly working both times. The recommended fuse rating for the compressor is stated at 16a and it's a fused relay I bought.

Electrics....the part of vehicle maintenance that gets me every time!

jt824 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

What is the advantage of air horns over other horns?

wetwork999 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

mo12v, So does the poster install a toggle switch inbetween the relay and the horns or at the end of the wiring or does it even matter? I am running into the same problem.

I have mounted air horns to my truck on the underside as I have plenty of room. Compressor has a pressure switch that auto shuts off @ 120psi. I want a toggle switch in the cab to select between OEM horn which I believe is (-) and Air horns which is (+) all to be activated by my horn switch in the steering wheel.

Right now I have a Single Pole 3 prong toggle switch that is also illuminated. When the switch is up the Air Horns should be armed and should activate when I hit my steering wheel horn pad.

-Power (I have it hooked up to the blue wire for horns on Fords [03 Ford Excursion 6.0PSD 4x4 Ltd.)

-Acc (I have this going to the Air Horns)

-Ground (Grounded to the frame)

I think that part of my problem is that my factory blue horn wire is (-). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~WW

mo12v wrote:
If you are mounting the Air Horns to Metal ( GROUND ) then I would go for the POSITIVE wiring and use a Relay.
If you are using a Switch:
1.Ground the Air Horns
2.Ground 1 side of the Switch
3.wire Relay:
PIN 87 = Constant 12 volt ( + )
PIN 87a = XX
PIN 30 = AIR HORN
PIN 85 = Negative from Switch for Air Horn
PIN 86 = Constant 12 volt ( + )

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2006 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
there is two wires comming from air horns. right a + and a -
so take the negative and ground it using a tapping screw to clean metal. that wires i done
Now determine wether you want to use a switch to activate horns of the factory horn in steering wheel
if you want to use a switch
connect like this
Run the possitive wire from the air horns into the car drivers side.
get a 12 bosch relay or equivalent must have pin 86,87,30,87a,85
connect it like this ( keeping factory horn as well)
pin 87 and pin 86 connect together than connect them to a constant power source a power wire that always has power car on or car off. fuse it ten amps.
pin 87a not used
pin 85 connect to one pole of a momentary switch( a switch that does not stay engaged when you stop pressing) available at radio shack.
connect other side of switch to ground a clean peice of metal on the cars surface.
connect pin 30 of relay to the possitive wire of air horns
add fuse and your done.
If connecting to the factory horn you can either locate the factory horn disconnect the wires and determine if the wire guage is pretty thick. if so you may be able to just tap your possitive and negative wires there from air horns but add a fuse on possitive wire just in case. if not than you can do two things one>
Disconnect wires going to factory horns determine which is possitive that tap a wire off of that to be ran to a relay you have to buy and install. (using factory horn switch disconnect factory horn)
ground the - from air horns to chassis.
take the wire tapped off of the factory horn wires and connect it to pin 85 of a standard 12 volt relay.
ground pin 86 to chassis
connect a wire from pin 30 to the possitive of air horns
connect pin 87 fused to the battery 10 amps
pin 87a notused
your done when you press factory horn the air horns will beep.
give you self plenty of wire so that you can make it look good later. you can use wire loom and things like that as well
second way: (using factory horn switch disconnect factory horn)
If you can determine if your factory horn button on steering wheer throws a negative Which most do find the wire. and set up system like this
ground negative of air horns to chassis
ground from factory horn switch goes to pin 86
pin 30 goes to possitive of air horns
pin 87 & pin 85 tap together with a small loop than connect it to a constant 12 volt power source fused at ten amps.
disconnect factory horn.
your done.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
wetwork999 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2006 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

djfearny2 wrote:
there is two wires comming from air horns. right a + and a -

so take the negative and ground it using a tapping screw to clean metal. that wires i done

Actually it was two red wires (+) coming off of the solenoid and a (+) & (-) coming off of the compressor/pressure switch. All that needs to be grounded has been grounded so this is done.

djfearny2 wrote:
Now determine wether you want to use a switch to activate horns of the factory horn in steering wheel

I want my truck activate OEM horn and Air horn from the Steering Wheel Horn pad. I would like it to be wired so that factory OEM horn functions if steering wheel horn pad is pressed (only) if the toggle is off; and Factory & Air Horn if the toggle switch is on/armed and the steering wheel horn pad is pressed.

Will this make a difference in your suggestions?

djfearny2 wrote:
if you want to use a switch
connect like this
Run the possitive wire from the air horns into the car drivers side.
get a 12 bosch relay or equivalent must have pin 86,87,30,87a,85
connect it like this ( keeping factory horn as well)
pin 87 and pin 86 connect together than connect them to a constant power source a power wire that always has power car on or car off. fuse it ten amps.
pin 87a not used
pin 85 connect to one pole of a momentary switch( a switch that does not stay engaged when you stop pressing) available at radio shack.
connect other side of switch to ground a clean peice of metal on the cars surface.
connect pin 30 of relay to the possitive wire of air horns
add fuse and your done.

My factory steering pad horn switch is a momentary switch correct? I am so new at this is is pitiful. Thank you for your time in my dilemma.

crcustoms45 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

i install air horns in my shop. 

so that i can help you,

1.   tell me the make and model of your car and air horn. 

2.  tell me if you want the horn on the factory switch (steering wheel) or separate switch.

3.  do you have an air compressor and tank or is it electric.

Chris
CRCustoms

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic